Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 7 years ago

Christians that believe the 1 of the 7 days of creation is million or billion years?

This question is adressed to christians who believe God created the universe via the Big Bang.

If a day would be like billions of years , then after Adam was created on day 6 and god rested on day 7,

does that mean Adam was billion of years old?

Update:

typo last verse *billions*

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Best answer

The bible does not say exactly what the periods of time were for each creative day, all we know is that they are not a literal 'day' as we view it in modern times.

Some read the bible literally assuming the creative day was a literal 24 hours each however the bible and the original language of the time tells us something different. In the bible the term Day refers not only to a regular 24hr period but also in prophesy it can be used to illustrate a year, to measure distance, with reference to a time period contemporaneous with a particular person and for an unspecified period of time in a figurative of flexible sense.

This flexible use of the word “day” to express units of time of varying length is clearly evident in the Genesis account of creation. Therein is set forth a week of six creative days followed by a seventh day of rest. The week assigned for observance by the Jews under the Law covenant given them by God was a miniature copy of that creative week. (Ex 20:8-11) In the Scriptural record the account of each of the six creative days concludes with the statement: “And there came to be evening and there came to be morning” a first, second, third, fourth, fifth, and sixth day. (Ge 1:5, 8, 13, 19, 23, 31) The seventh day, however, does not have this ending, indicating that this period, during which God has been resting from his creative works toward the earth, continued on. At Hebrews 4:1-10 the apostle Paul indicated that God’s rest day was still continuing in his generation, and that was more than 4,000 years after that seventh-day rest period began. This makes it evident that each creative day, or work period, was at least thousands of years in length. As A Religious Encyclopaedia (Vol. I, p. 613) observes: “The days of creation were creative days, stages in the process, but not days of twenty-four hours each.”—Edited by P. Schaff, 1894.

All anyone can tell you is that a creative day is a very long period of time, and when it says "at least thousands of years in length" that is the minimum period of each day. As the bible does not expand on these details no Christian can give you an exact calculation for the period. Even with an ever changing scientific view, there are some things we just don't have an answer to.

Source(s): Reconciling Science and Religion http://m.wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/102002403 Is It Unscientific to Believe in God? http://m.wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/102004441 What does the bible really teach? (bible aid ) http://www.jw.org/en/publications/books/bible-teac...
  • 7 years ago

The Hebrews and the Babylonians were the first to use the Seven Day calendar. St. Peter in his Epistle states a Day to God is a thousand years. Basically no one knows how God measures time but to an eternal Being like God what importance is it to measure time? The earth is about 4.7 billion years old the universe is about 13.7 billion years old. The ancient peoples didn't know how old the earth was yet alone the universe so they created creation stories to explain how God or their gods created everything which varied from one religion to the next religion. When man had developed the science to understand this the creation stories became more about theological teachings rather than being taken as actual fact. So even going by the creation story in which the earth was created it wouldn't stand up against the science. For example in the creation story the earth is older than the sun, moon, and stars but science states that the sun came before the earth and there were already other stars in our galaxy and within other galaxies in the universe. The other thing they don't want to know is that our sun is a second generation star which means it was created from the remains of a dead star.

The sad thing is that there are people that still take the creation story as being actual fact no matter how much proof you would produce to them.

Source(s): Catholic Scientist
  • 3 years ago

The bible does reply this question, but you must comprehend the context of when the bible was once written and when the scriptures first happened (hundreds of thousands of years earlier than the bible is published) The bible pronounces a day to God is sort of a thousand days in the world, which used to be the one option to communicate to his folks of lesser potential again then. In different words, the word of God used to be given to his historical men and women in a format in which they would comprehend. God did not tell the prophets in term of thousands or billions of years, they could no longer concept this. Instead he made his presence well known and stated his legal guidelines and the proposal of heaven and hell. Its all about timing and faith. Heres the kicker!!! If you look at the story of construction in Genesis and the order where the earth was once shaped and man happened, it follows the same concepts and order that scientists theorize about earths formation. To attempt to disprove God and his works is like seeking to disprove that that you got here from your mothers and fathers. The Christian faith is a little more than what you're being uncovered to. Supply Genesis a seem see and then transfer on to the new testomony about Jesus. If you have questions i'll help the high-quality i will be able to in an impartial manner. I am a science instructor at a excessive school and have had the entire same questions you could have offered. I've additionally struggled with these problems as good. I still instruct evolution, but that a whole new issue, however i have discovered the skills and the courage to maintain to my religion. Let me understand if i will support--when you eyes are opened, trust me, your existence will trade--the emptiness and confusion might be full of knowledge and power---and its the nice feeling you're going to ever have

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Actually I'm pretty sure in the Bible, God says a day for God is a thousand years for man, so if Adam was created on the 6th day etc..he was made 6000 years after and a 1000 years before God rested. But the Bible does say Adam was over 900 years old when he died. Hope this helps. So in Biblical terms if you can figure out Adams birthday plus up to today, that's how old earth is, according to the Bible. But I believe in the scientific calculation, they've proven so much, and the Bible was written as stories and lessons, peopke were much ignorant back then and things were explained in the Bible at their level, imagine explaing science to the people during Moses time?

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • david
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

The bible is so written down in a set of codes which very few understand even to this day.

there are said to be as many as seven keys to these sayings and only four have as yet been

decoded by the Jews as such.

A day could be a million years or more.

Time is ongoing and never ends.

The Hindus quote times of one cycles as being up to 15 decimal places...wow.

Adam was not one man but seven races of many millions of men prior to the racial split into the two sexes and in Adam and Eve which came again after millions of years of evolution. Amen.

read the Secret Doctrine of Blavatsky under theosophy.

• Archer
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

It seems that their bible states that a "day" to god is like thousands of years as what would a god need with a concept required by man. The need to rest is also a human frailty. It seems that they choose to ignore these facts.

Creation is simply ancient and ignorant man's perceptions of what took place over millions of years.

Think about it!

Source(s): Atheist.
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

They say this despite the bible saying each of them days was from sunrise to sunset, it's their way of clinging to their ridiculous belief despite it being moronic.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Kinda weird to say so as it reverts, without notice, to "normal time" half a page later.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.