kitty asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 8 years ago

What do you know about 14th century England priests/monks?

I'd be greatful if you could tell me all you know about 14th century England (1300s) priests/monks. Thank you!

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favourite answer

Monks spent thier lives within the Monastery serving thief lives to God. It was not uncommon or Monks to become secular hermits. They usually made alot of thier income through tending cattle or writung put copies of books (Monks tended to be some of the few literates of the time).

• 8 years ago

found this on wikipedia

"John Wycliffe (about 1320 – 31 December 1384) was an English theologian and an early dissident against the Roman Catholic Church during the 14th century. He founded the Lollard movement, which opposed a number of practices of the Church. He was also against papal encroachments on secular power. Wycliffe was associated with statements indicating that the Church in Rome is not the head of all churches, nor did St Peter have any more powers given to him than other disciples. These statements were related to his call for a reformation of its wealth, corruption and abuses. Wycliffe, an Oxford scholar, went so far as to state that "...The Gospel by itself is a rule sufficient to rule the life of every Christian person on the earth, without any other rule." The Lollard movement continued with his pronouncements from pulpits even under the persecution that followed with Henry IV up to and including the early years of the reign of Henry VIII.

The first break with Rome (subsequently reversed) came when Pope Clement VII refused, over a period of years, to annul Henry's marriage to Catherine of Aragon, not purely as a matter of principle, but also because the Pope lived in fear of Catherine's nephew, Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor, as a result of events in the Italian Wars."

I think this has much to do with Renaissance. Around that time the Christian church was seen as a very corrupt organisation and governments, local clergymen and people in general started distancing themselves from the official church policy. So that sprung up a renewed interest in antiquity and old religions and i would believe that monks and priests in England were also taking more interest in old celtic and roman/greek traditions. They were probably more open minded than their predecessors and wanted independence from Rome.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

It's "grateful," not "greatful." And why would you want to ask this question to a bunch of semi-literate teenagers on some random website when your library almost certainly has excellent books written by professional historians on this very subject?

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.