kitty asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 8 years ago

What jobs did women have in 14th century England?

I know that women were usually housewives and cleaned and cooked and looked after children, but I'm looking for a proper job. Thank you!

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favourite answer

This was the time period of the Black Death

There were a few fierce female pirates in the 14th century

also Nuns, healers, apothecaries and midwives

Work as cobblers, weaving cloth or making clothes.

Some also sold fruit, vegetables or the cloth and clothing

Women on farmland would have ploughed fields and gathered crops, as well as dealing with animals

in 14th century a girl could be married at the age of seven, consent was just a matter of her parents giving her away. This might change your idea of 14th century womanhood

• 8 years ago

you are talking about the 1300 hear.

ok so there are two types are women at this time

poor and rich

the poor women had to work usualy working on a farm. general farming or making butter or milking cows and stuff. they where also servants to rich people. a maid etc. there where also prostitutes and work houses (women worked in work houses)

the rich women had less options. they where looked down on. if they where middle class they might have been a real maid. not the person that dressed and cleaned but one that taught young girls spanish or french, how to act like a lady, speak etc.

there wasnt much at that time as an option.

the upper class didnt work generaly so they basicaly had no jobs.

• Slava
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

Kempe undertook two failed domestic businesses — a brewery and a grain mill — both common home-based businesses for medieval women. Margery Kempe's BOOK was hidden and LOST until 1934: Kempe was tried several times for such illegal acts as allegedly teaching and preaching on scripture and faith in public, and wearing white clothes (interpreted as hypocrisy on the part of a married woman). She proved her orthodoxy in each case, but came dangerously close to heterodoxy in her challenging responses to clerical authorities. Had Kempe's book been fully extant prior to the Reformation, it would likely have been destroyed. The fact that it was lost until 1934 is undoubtedly the only reason it is available to us today. In England, free-women and merchants could certainly inherit a husbands business... SOME guilds even had women in leadership positions. BUT Church law and traditions put women as the PROPERTY of their fathers and husbands... so I wouldn't consider them "emancipated" in the least.

• 8 years ago

Some were active in the church, a few were warriors, but most were housewives. A lot had to do with their rank in society. upperclass women tended to be more educated, but back then it was mostly a man's world. this site might help: http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/medieval_wome...

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 years ago

On the plant it is just a fruit, off the flower it is just a vegetable

• ?
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

I like fruits over vegetables because I feel that fruits just feel "fresher" somehow.

• 8 years ago

Baby makin'

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.