Investing in a 401(k) through my company.?

Im eligible to enroll in my company 401(k) plan. Im 32 years old and make a decent living $70,000-$120,000 a year. Im leaning toward a more aggressive stance on what to choose for the particular funds available through our plan. We have to pick each fund with a % and have a total of %100 at the end. Our funds are:

Morley Stable Value

PIMCO Total Return

T. Rowe Price Capitol Apprec

DFA US Large Cap Value

Vanguard Total Stock Market Idx

Wells Fargo Advantage Growth

Rydex-SGI Mid Cap Value

Columbia Acorn

DFA US Small Cap Value

Janus Triton

American Funds Capital World G/I

Dodge &Cox International Stock

DFA Emerging Markets Value

T. Rowe Price Real Estate

Wells Fargo Adv Precious Metals

My company does not match but does profit sharing. From what I hear they are really good about throwing in a bit of cash for their employees and are a pretty profitable company.Im looking for ideas about what percentage to invest in each. It would be very helpful. Thanks for your time.

Update:

We also have:

Fidelity Freedom 2010

Fidelity Freedom 2020

Fidelity Freedom 2030

Fidelity Freedom 2040

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favourite answer

This would be your plan. Invest in your company stock,

but no more then 10%. Then in the 401k put 20%

into each of the following 5 funds.

Pimco total return

TR Price cap ap

Vanguard total stock market index

Dodge &n Cox international

Fidelity 2040

• C B
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

You may want to consider taking your age and subtracting from 118 for aggressive, 110 for moderate, or 100 for conservative to determine the amount to invest in the Vanguard Total Stock Market Index with the remainder in the PIMCO Total Return.

Another approach is to consider how much you are willing to lose if the market as represented by the S&P 500 Index declines by 50 percent. If you are only willing to lose 25 percent, then the amount that should be invested into the Total Stock should be 50 percent and the remainder in the PIMCO Total Return.

• 8 years ago

an easy pick, would be one of the fidelity freedom funds. The one that corresponds to your retirement date, say the 2040 fund.

Otherwise if you want to pick funds, do your asset allocation 1st. Then you can pick funds to fit your allocation.

50% Vanguard's total market index

05% DFA small cap value

20% D&C international stk

20% Pimco ttl return

05% money market

I recommended bonds with some trepidation. If interest rates rise, these could take a hit. Maybe want to use the money markets instead.

Want to keep your bonds short/intermediate in the current environment.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Dodge &Cox International Stock 45% and a letter to the issuer that there is no common sense to invest in an ADR and that amount should they invest in common stock anoted at one of the other european stock markets in which they have not invested yet

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.