Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 7 years ago

Atheists: what would it take to make you believe in God?

I'm an atheist, and like many atheists I state my main reason for not believing in God as "lack of evidence". Within that though, I'm trying to work out what I would actually consider to be conclusive evidence of God's existence. Having God appear before me? What form would that have to take for me to not think I was hallucinating, or the victim of an elaborate hoax? Maybe I would need to witness a miracle that I could not explain through any scientific means (and I can't think of an example of that sorry!).

As an atheist, what would it take for you to believe?

Bear1: A couple of things. Firstly, I don't spend all my time trawling through past the questions on this site. I come here to ask questions that I think of, or answer some when I feel like it. Secondly, my question is asking what people would consider to be the "veritable" proof that you have mentioned. Ironic that you would call me an idiot, when you're the one who didn't understand the question.

As an Ex-Christian and used to using "God" to refer to the Judeo-Christian god and not some general god, I would expect to see evidence that confirmed events attributed to God in the Bible in a very literal sense, i.e. evidence of creation occurring consistent with the the Biblical genealogies. Evidence of a flood that destroyed all life on the earth and that humanity descended from 8 humans, not to mention that humans spread out from somewhere in the middle east around 4000 years ago. I would also expect significant evidence that Hebrew culture started in Egypt and then moved to Canaan or the "promised land".

If you are talking about some type of general "god", then I would want to see how you define such a being and then would want to see evidence that supports that definition. It really is not that hard, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, but realistically there is no evidence that remotely suggests that anything resembling a god might exist.

I think you are going about this the wrong way, really.

The scientific method (I'm not a scientist though, so feel free to correct me) would be to form a theory based upon the evidence and then see if the theory can make accurate predictions. What you are doing is asking for evidence to support the theory, which will lead to cherry picking (if there is any cherry to pick), confirmation bias and all the other ways that we are misled into muddled thinking.

So I don't know what I would want. I'll just see what they've got.

If it is compelling or if I am just too dumb to see it is flawed, I'll believe. Otherwise, I do not believe.

Evidence

We want evidence only when there is decision to be made and I don't see most atheists as wanting to make any decision, in fact, just the opposite.

What you want is for God not to convince you but to compel you.

If you're concerned about truth, then you need to find someone unbiased to evaluate the evidence and I don't think that's possible.

it would require evidence. Verifiable, repeatable evidence. Not an apparation, not a story about my friends cousin Eddie who was deaf but was healed by a faith healer. E V I D E N C E.

Something that was supported by observable data. You know, like all that stuff the various religions have provided never.

• Candy

They won't, its that simple. If there is anything that will genuinely make an atheist genuinely believe in God, they will eventually encounter it. In which instance, they won't be an atheist anymore. If not, they won't. However, of coarse you are not aware of anything what would result in you believing in God, silly. If you were aware of such a thing in any reality and in existence, the result would be that you would believe in God by its existence being evidence. No atheist would be aware of something that could make them believe in God, unless they were lying about being an atheist, likely even to themselves. Such is plausible to happen, but I'd think it rare.

• Andrew

The best way to look at this is that if there were a God it would know exactly what to do to prove its existance to you. So either it doesn't want you to know, or it doesn't deserve the title God. If it doesn't want you to know, of course, then you could never prove it ever existed because of the attributed abilities.

For him to appear in front of me and do something magical (preferably that benefits me, because otherwise he would just be cementing my belief that "if God exists, he's just an asshole kid with a magnifying glass"). After which he would promptly disappear in a puff of logic, as proof denies faith.

actual verifiable proof..not the unsupported claims we have been handed for 2000+ years

this question has been asked and answered repeatedly here..

this time WRITE down the answer,,so you don't have to continually Look Like an Idiot by asking it over and over!

• A verifiable action on "his" part that leaves lasting, verifiable and observable evidence that has no other explanation than the supernatural intervention of an omnipotent being.