if my employees decided to unionize can i fire them all and hire scabs?

I understand that I cannot threaten my workers when they try to unionize with the plant closing or them being fired. However I understand that if I as a business owner will not negotiate with a labour union can hire scabs while they are on strike and continue to employ the scabs until the workers decide to quit their coup de tat.

As an employer, you are not bound to recognize the union, so the employees can join any union they want. IF the decide to strike and not report to work, just follow your policy manual. For example in the place I work at if you don't show up for work for three days, without calling in, you're fired. If you miss 16 days of work in six months without some kind of medical problem, you can be fired. So follow your policy manual.

• Jay

Yes, that's the point of "scabs." How successful you'll be will depend on the quality of the scabs (are they just as experienced and trained), if the scabs will continue to work for lower wages (or whatever the issue is), how much pull the union has (e.g., they might have a sister union that's at your supplier and you won't be able to get your supplied), and how long they can last.

Sure, first you have to have a plant in America. Then realize Better products and happy employees make more money in the long run.

China is a communist country and the right says we have to compete with them. poor Americans mean no sales

You can't fire them for forming a union.

You'd need to wait till they strike. Then fire them and hire scabs.

Then after you suffer crippling losses for awhile, you offer to hire them back.

• CRSP

You potentially can, you would have to retrain your new staff and treat them fairly so they would not do the same thing to you. In the long run, you will probably lose money and good workers.

Just shut down and move operations. It will be less costly in the long run.

• Mrbill

depends on your state laws. With out knowing your state there is no proper answer.