why do some girls get crushes on celebrities and fictional characters?

I am a guy, and i really don't understand this at all. of course i have found celebrities and even fictional characters attractive, but i could not see becoming romantically infatuated with them

and i dont know of many other guys that obsess over fictional characters or characters romantically either

or celebrities*

btw not trying to call girls dumb or anything its just this is something that i can not relate to but seems pretty common

@ allanas thanks for assuming that i'm undesirable :/ lol

yes i think some celebrities/artists are cool and stuff, but i dont think about being friends or lovers with them a bunch or anything

Girls are hard wired to pick the best and brightest mates to pass good genes to their children. Sorry, but it's true. They've done studies. Girls want wealthy mates, good providers, and handsome men so they have pretty babies.

Fictional characters, and celebrities fill that need - and there's the added benefit of "distance". These men are "safe" because there is no chance she will be hurt by them.

See if you can find a show on The Discovery Channel. It touches on this subject. The show is called "Survival of the Sexiest" or "The Science of Sex" or something like that.

EDIT TO ADD:

NO! NO!!

It's not you. It's the celebrities/fictional characters.

The show in Discovery Channel describes it better. There are "regular joes" like you that are good mates. Good prospects. You might be handsome, charming, well off, and over all good husband material.

BUT

The celebrity/fictional character is "you" only better because:

1) There are no commitment issues. They control the fantasy and don't have to worry about dirty socks and rent money.

2) They don't have to worry about their larger, male mate will snap and hurt them or leave them, or hurt one of their children.

3) In the Discovery Channel show, there's a whole section on symmetry. How humans seek symmetry in the faces of the opposite sex. People with the most symmetry are the most beautiful, and the most sought after. That symmetry signifies health, good breeding, and a bunch of other things that ping off our "reptile brains".

It's like having an Oreo cookie for dessert. Sure, Oreos are fantastic - but what if someone offered a brownie sundae with whipped cream, nuts and a cherry on top - then told you that there are no calories, and you won't get a stomach ache if you eat the whole thing?

You'd go face first into the dish like a puppy, right?

Same here. Those fictional characters are the brownie sundae. You are the Oreo. Double Stuff, of course!

I'm a girl!!!! lol it's cause they think they are perfect. Which by fact fictional characters are made to be perfect, so girls fall in love with them. Celebrities are different, they are living people. How seem to look and act perfect. Either way it's basically because girls like a guy who is perfectly im-perfect. Hope this helped!!!!

Source(s): Myself a girl who has crushes on 1D, and JB plus characters in animes.

I don't know how old you are, but it is actually a healthy mental excersize to be infatuated with unattainable persons. Pretty much everyone does it, even you. You may not recognize it, but it exists. For sports fans it is usually an impeccable, pro athlete of the same sex. It is actually considered strange to not have an obsession of this nature.. There are varying degrees of obsession, though. Such as physically stalking an obession.

I get infatuated with boys at school and celebrities like Pierce The Veil, Sleeping With Sirens, One Direction and I like basically hate myself for it. It makes me feel like an annoying 10 year old fangirl but I literally can't help it. I think it's because I just find them interesting and then I want to know everything about them. I like the way they act or talk and suddenly I wish that I could be friends with them and have proper conversations with them. I don't even know why it happens but I can't stop it. It's like I just really desperately just want to be able to feel a connection with someone that I admire.

The girls you're probably talking about are probably young- or mature, but extremely dumb- teenagers. Who have posters of said character on their walls, give sloppy auntie kisses to them every night. ...Ew. They all go through that phase. Even I did.

We're not even sure. There's just something about said person we find appealing and different, so we want to be with them? Nothing different from a regular crush, only this one we have absolutely no chance with that person. Maybe that's what makes them so special...? We can imagine being with them without having to DEAL with them.

...I actually have no clue.

Source(s): *shudders* ...........I liked fucking Ron Weasley as a kid. RON. MOTHERFUCKING. WEASLEY. I mean, he grew up to be decent looking but... WHYYY!?
  • I myself am crazy about Divergent. I CANNOT stop fangirling over Four (Tobias Eaton), OMG. Fictional characters are perfect, that's why. Don't question this, even I don't understand it ...

thats just the way girls are alot of my freinds that are girls are obssesed with that jack frost guy from that movie with all the holiday figures, their are some celebrities ive obsessed over before.

Source(s): freinds

Look girls are much more romantic than guys so just love them the way they are!

Because you can't find a Mr Darcy in real life!

Source(s): Pride and Prejudice is amazing

Finding somebody hot or whatever is fine but when a celebrity becomes your only thoughts, (eg. beliebers and one directioner) you need to get a life.