Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceTaxesUnited States · 7 years ago

Self-Employed AND Employed: Minimum Before Obligated To Pay Taxes?

I think asking this question would be easier if i provided a scenario, so here we go:

Let's say I am an 18-year-old dependent who has never filed taxes before. I am self-employed as an independent contractor, but my income for the year was LESS than $400. Like, say, $300. If I became employed, what would be most I could make before I would be obligated to file for taxes?

What's the run-down on identifying whether or not you need to file for taxes if you are both self-employed and employed?

I will provide additional details if it is needed to produce an accurate answer.

Thank you.

If you have a job and self employment then all the self employment is reportable.

• Judy

If you make 6100 or more, even if your se income is less than 400, you'd owe tax. If you file for any reason, even if just for a refund, you have to show the se income.

• tro

you are exempt up to $6100 of earnings

self employment net under $400 is also not subject to self employment tax

if you earn over $400 from your regular job, you are required to claim all money you earn from self-employment.