Where might I find a Buddhist temple/retreat?

After exhausting my limited internet skills, I've come here with a question. I'm looking for a Buddhist temple/monastery in the U.S. where I might be able to serve those around me. I've got in mind someplace where they allow individuals to stay for extended periods of time, isolated from the... show more After exhausting my limited internet skills, I've come here with a question. I'm looking for a Buddhist temple/monastery in the U.S. where I might be able to serve those around me. I've got in mind someplace where they allow individuals to stay for extended periods of time, isolated from the "normal" world to be uninhibited by distractions. The idea of being in communion with teachers or guides, or individuals who have been living and practicing Buddhism for much longer than I have, is most attractive.

Does there exist any place like this in the eastern U.S.? Any feedback at all is much appreciated.