Here's one I would like to know?

Because I train in TaeKwonDo and still practice Kempo, would this make me mma. How do you categorize this? Been thinking about it for a few days. Not sure what to think. Hmmm???

MMA is a mindset just like traditional martial arts is also a mindset. Most people here in the US have a MMA mindset even if they do practice a traditional martial art and I think that is why it is so popular. It fits us as a culture better. There is nothing wrong with it at all but I really think it is a cultural difference how we approach things and how we discipline ourselves to go about something. In our minds if we can do many things we think we are better so we are never contend with just one thing no matter how well we can do this one thing, even if we are a master. We can never just cross train and add to our knowledge of one thing. We have to advertise that we do many things, many martial arts. Sounds so much better don't you think? ....and in the end you still know the same no matter what you call it.

• BBQPit

Strictly by definition, yes. As MMA technically means two or more martial arts mixed together as one.

By connotation, no. Because by connotation, MMA is a format and has rules, etc.

It's sort of like this: if I just see some random object in the sky that I don't know what it is exactly is it a UFO? Technically yes, because strictly speaking it's an object I cannot identify. However, the popular connotation of a UFO is an alien spacecraft from another world.

Technically yes, but MMA is defined by the UFC website as a mixture of both striking and grappling styles and is about versatility. The term is a bit vague, though, so it's definitely open to interpretation.

Source(s): Experience with multiple styles, primary style is Muay Thai, moderator of The Caged Dojo.
  • Kokoro

i like bbqpis and liondances answers

what is more interesting is styles like muay thai, bjj, judo are older then most tkd styles and karate styles yet they are considered modern. go figure

@m, many tma people test there training as well, your definition is horrible, plus if you look at the history of shootfighting is the samething,

mma is not a new a idea its just a renamed and goes back thousands of years

Source(s): 30+yrs ma

I wouldn't say so. Remember, MMA was coined to refer to individuals from mixed disciplines testing their worth against one another. Of course, now it just means a combo of BJJ and Muay Thai thatare stripped down to cage essentials.

I would call you a multi-faceted student of the martial arts... MFSMA. Now, that's bad ***.

Source(s): Krav and MAC-P instructor, BJJ and kick boxing student
  • Mark

It would be very difficult to find a contemporary art that has remained "pure".... They have all borrowed from other styles and schools over the years.

I agree with bbqpit. Very good answer.