do people from south africa speak english?

I have listening from South africa, the president and he doesn't speak English very well for me, but I am not sure, I am not an English speaker

Yes. English is the medium language in most schools in South Africa. It's not the home language of most citizens. The top 3 home languages spoken the most in South Africa are isiZulu, isiXhosa and Afrikaans. English is used when you want to speak with another person with a different language. South Africa has 11 official languages you know. I'm black, I speak it in a British accent.

Most people in South-Africa speak English as a second language.

From what you have written, I can pick up you dont speak English that well either, why should it be a problem if the president doesn't speak it that well? Like many people in south africa, english is only his second language. Most people in South Africa, including whites, dont speak english that well. Most, excluding the youngters who went to English medium private schools, are comfortable speaking their first languages rather than speaking English.

Yes, of course South Africans speak english. After all, this country was a british colony. But, not everyone speaks english as their mother tongue. About 5 million people speak english as their first language. We have 11 official languages. And many South Africans are fairly multi-lingual. So is the president. But, again, he is a Zulu, and that is also his mother tongue.

Yes English is the main language in South Africa. The only reason the president doesn't speak English that clear is beacuse it's not his first language.

Most South Africans(Blacks) can't speak English, only few of them do in surburbs. But all the white South Africans do speak English fluently. Its an official language anyway.

English is the predominant language in South Africa.

Everyone is taught in either english or afrikaans in South Africa, or atleast all educational materials are produced in those two languages, so everyone who has had an education will probably understand either language other than their mother tongue. Im northern sotho speaking but I took English as my Home language, my brother Afrikaans as his and my sister Northern Sotho as hers. Pretty screwed up.

Yes it is spoken everywhere. Yeah JZ is quite the prick who doesnt really speak English the best but there are a whole lot more people (if not the whole country) who speak better than JZ.

Source(s): South African

Most people in South Africa, are Caucasian and speak english. Therefore, they teach the South Africans english in schools. Most of them speak english.

• Katlego6 years agoReport

Oh I think you meant most people are black Just In, hahaha