Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 7 years ago

If I pay for private hospital to give birth in UK will my baby get the British citizenship?

Hi,

My husband and I are both Mexican citizens living in Mexico and 3 years ago travelled as tourists to UK; we loved the country and we' were thinking if is possible to deliver our children in UK. We do not intend to use NHS, we are willing to pay for private hospital and our stay without working illegally. My husband has a very stable and wealthy business that can support our stay during the pregnancy period. My question is if none of us have the British Citizenship is there a permit we can require in order to get our baby legally the British citizenship? Our intention is to give our children a an option in their future if they don't want to stay in Mexico.

I want to make sure to do things legally I repeat, I do not intend to use any government support the less we want is to become another couple sucking benefits from the Britain's rights...

My understanding is immigration laws changed decades ago, not because the child is born in UK can automatically acquire the citizenship like in USA or other countries, this is because many immigrants were taking advantage of the health system, therefore, I want to get advise if is possible that by paying for all the health services my child can get not exactly the British citizenship but the right to have the option if in the future he wants to pursued the UK citizenship by studying and living in the UK as legally required. Of course the baby will be Mexican, we are allowed to have dual nationality but as long as we can support them financially I would like them to have an option in the future. I studied my Major in Canada and it was a great experience, we are also thinking in that option as well... of course by paying a private medical service as well, but we loved the British culture :)...

Thank you all for your kind Reponses, of course the ones who did it respectfully! Will encourage my children to look for a student visa in the future instead... :)

just because you drop a brat in the UK we do NOT hand out citizenship that way, the UK is not as daft as the USA is.............all it means is that you had your child and NOTHING else. and it will mean shyt now and even less in the future to your child.................

EDIT you can send them to further education there, pay the international fees and this will still NOT give your kid ANY rights to be a UK citizen...........did YOU get Canadian citizenship due to YOU studying there?? I thought not, so wtf you think your child will gain it..............

There is no link between the ability or inability to pay for healthcare in the UK and citizenship, the UK does not have birthright citizenship - in order to be a British citizen at birth the parents of the child must be either British citizens or considered to be settled (in possession of Indefinite Leave to Remain), if the parents don't fulfil those criteria then the child takes the citizenship of the parents. As you are entering the UK as tourist your child will not be entitled to claim British citizenship.

NO country in the EU has birthright citizenship, some of them are still coming around to the idea that they should grant citizenship to the children of permanent residents.

Studying in the UK is NOT the route to citizenship either - a student visa is temporary & the holder is expected to leave the UK once their course ends. Time spent in the UK on a student visa does NOT count towards the eligibility period for either permanent residence or citizenship.

The key to citizenship in the UK or any other EU member state - if you can't claim it through a parent (or grandparent in a very, very small number of cases) - is a work visa.

• Me

Sorry to break it to you, but your children will have NO claim to British citizenship. In order for a child born in the UK to obtain British citizenship is if at least one parent is a British citizen or has ILR (indefinite leave to remain) when the child is born.

Your child will take your citizenship, not British.

It's not automatic like it is with the US, I doubt you would get a visa once pregnant, sorry. You might be better looking at Spain as there may be stronger links. Any EU passport gives your child the right to live and work in Europe so investigate all 28 countries.

• Autumn

Won't make any difference to your child's nationality - they will have no links to the UK in any way - apart from having been born here. They will be Mexican and will have to go through the standard visa system like everybody else.

British Citizenship can be acquired in the following ways:

1.lex soli: By birth in the United Kingdom to a parent who is a British citizen at the time of the birth, or to a parent who is settled in the United Kingdom

2.lex sanguinis: By birth abroad, which constitutes "by descent" if one of the parents is a British citizen otherwise than by descent (for example by birth, adoption, registration or naturalisation in the United Kingdom). British citizenship by descent is only transferable to one generation down from the parent who is a British citizen otherwise than by descent, if the child is born abroad.

3.By naturalisation

4.By registration

5.By adoption

• ?

sorry NO. any child born in the UK after the date 1st January 1983 takes the nationality of their parents.

So in your case Mexican.

• JOHN G

There is NO such thing as citizenship by birth in Europe, children born to parents who are not residents take the nationality of their parents.

No, the baby acquires the parents citizenship. This is NOT a path to citzenship for your child.

• Jan409

Off course not

You are Mexican so your child is Mexican too

You won't get support anyway, as you've not contributed in any shape or form

Source(s): uk
  • James

Sorry, only America is dumb enough to have policy is giving out citizenship by having a baby in the country. You people need to stay in your own country.