He showed interest but why won't he approach?

I like a guy and he showed interest in me too ie when we both saw each other , I would smile at him and he would return me with a happy smile, even held the door for me. but why wouldn't he approach me?

I wanted to say a hi to him but he was on MP3 or with a friend so I didnt make it happen..

Boys are not smooth like they show in movies, this is new for them and rejection is the greatest fear.

yes a smile could mean he is interested in you but it could also mean he is having a good day make sure your reading his body language right and if its true that he does like you well to be honest the nice guys are shy sometimes you have to take initiative ask go and have a conversation with him see how that goes if you still sense he likes you by the end and he still doesnt say anything then HEY ask him if he would like to grab a bite to eat sometimes his treat ;)

Probably hesitated by some thought on how the situation would turn out. Could be shy too.

He seems like he likes you but is scared of rejection or just scared to talk to girls. You make the first move! Good Luck (: