How is belief in an invisible, unmeasurable and inactive divinity any different from mental illness?

We lock people up when they claim to see and speak to Napoleon or Elvis.
Shouldn't we be doing the same to those who claim they speak with God?
Update: Well, I can submit proof of my claims without problems using names and locations.

Where's you proof that I'm suffering mental illness? Feel free to write it down.
Update 2: Different times, different beliefs. Aristotle lived in a time where divinity was believed to be in every tree, rock, grass and his belief was considered fact, not belief. We know better know. We also know people prone to hallucination can be pushed to extreme action in a variety of manners. Perhaps preventive... show more Different times, different beliefs. Aristotle lived in a time where divinity was believed to be in every tree, rock, grass and his belief was considered fact, not belief.
We know better know. We also know people prone to hallucination can be pushed to extreme action in a variety of manners.
Perhaps preventive prison and treatment would be better.
Update 3: @Paul: That's better. Isn't that what religion does, however?
Update 4: Antony, as opposed to people who can't seem to read straight english and answer a question or shut the fk up.
Dully noted, good friend.
Update 5: @Fruit: What I mean is, religion creates illusion, illusion which some people's fragile state of mind bring them to believe and act upon it. This isn't just in Christianity, but in some other faiths. Some people LITERALLY claim that they witness, or spoke to, different angels or divine figures. Isn't... show more @Fruit: What I mean is, religion creates illusion, illusion which some people's fragile state of mind bring them to believe and act upon it. This isn't just in Christianity, but in some other faiths.
Some people LITERALLY claim that they witness, or spoke to, different angels or divine figures. Isn't that EXACTLY what mental illness is about?
Update 6: Full name, or just E. Fromme? I'll have to look it up. Some days I feel you have a point, depending on whom I meet.
Update 7: Steve: Children are IGNORANT. They don't know any better, which is why they stop believing when they grow up. Are you a child to still believe in Monsters and ghost and flying men with bird wings? Irrelevant, Logic is measurable, whereas God is NOT. God is absolutely, and I do mean ABSOLUTELY intangible,... show more Steve: Children are IGNORANT. They don't know any better, which is why they stop believing when they grow up.
Are you a child to still believe in Monsters and ghost and flying men with bird wings?

Irrelevant, Logic is measurable, whereas God is NOT. God is absolutely, and I do mean ABSOLUTELY intangible, whereas logic, being a principle, is finite and definable.
Update 8: I don't usually agree with Nostradamus, but on this occasion, I believe he's right ;-)
I think it's appalling people didn't react to that.
Update 9: Well Lawrence, you obviously didn't get the jist of what I was saying by NOT describing classical greek beliefs but talking about the mindset of humanity over 2000 years ago where divinity was present in every facet of people's lives, whereas today it is not. But hey, happy I could help you loose your faith... show more Well Lawrence, you obviously didn't get the jist of what I was saying by NOT describing classical greek beliefs but talking about the mindset of humanity over 2000 years ago where divinity was present in every facet of people's lives, whereas today it is not.
But hey, happy I could help you loose your faith in humanity, feel free to join the "fateless" club of atheism now. Maybe it'll help you fill in that watery melon you got up there.
Update 10: NDMA Canada, I'm happy you think so. I'd invite you to argue the point with pretty much any psychologist or social specialist alive today, to see what he tells you about the idea that anyone who does not believe in a supreme being is insane. Asfor delusion of grandeur, were that the case, I would be... show more NDMA Canada, I'm happy you think so.
I'd invite you to argue the point with pretty much any psychologist or social specialist alive today, to see what he tells you about the idea that anyone who does not believe in a supreme being is insane.
Asfor delusion of grandeur, were that the case, I would be blabbing about how great am I compared to everyone else. Anyone who knows me in the least knows that isn't the case. People also seem to misinterpret genuine questioning with attempts to run others through mud. I can assure you it isn't.
Update 11: Another interrogation I wrote above which would illustrate the point; if it is considered to be abnormal, as you indicate, to talk to the dead, then why isn't talking to the invisible, which many, if not most religious people of all faiths do or claim to do, considered the same? Neither will answer. If an... show more Another interrogation I wrote above which would illustrate the point; if it is considered to be abnormal, as you indicate, to talk to the dead, then why isn't talking to the invisible, which many, if not most religious people of all faiths do or claim to do, considered the same? Neither will answer. If an answer is received, as most who do claim to communicate with God or Allah or any other on a daily basis do, that answer is to be profoundly questioned.
Update 12: "Your asserting 75% of the population should be locked up because they believe differently than you is puffing yourself up." AGAIN, I am not asserting ANYTHING. I asked a question. Questions are made to be debated an answered. Your repeated attempts to insinuate that “Your lacking the mental capacity to... show more "Your asserting 75% of the population should be locked up because they believe differently than you is puffing yourself up."
AGAIN, I am not asserting ANYTHING. I asked a question. Questions are made to be debated an answered. Your repeated attempts to insinuate that “Your lacking the mental capacity to conceptually distinguish between the creator and the created humans that have expired does not make somebody else insane, it only demonstrates you have certain limitations in your thinking abilities” only make me question your own. I asked in what way believing in the invisible is different from believing in the non-existent. You answer I’m stupid. GRANTED, that why I asked the question. Your assessement of my mental capacity is utterly unnecessary, as it will leave me non-plussed regardless. I find it disturbing that defending the opposite idea of this question implies urinating over someone in order to discredit the idea.
Update 13: I can also easily distinguish between God and dead people; neither will answer back.
Those who claim to receive said answers are to be regarded suspisciously. I'm sure you would agree with that.