Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 6 years ago

Are German Shepherds naturally aggressive?

I want to get a german shepherd but I keep hearing stories about them attacking people for no good reason. I personally think they must have had bad owners but I need to be sure. Can someone please explain to me why this happens?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

German Shepherd Aggression

• 6 years ago

The breed as a whole was originally intended to be a multi-use working animal. Herding, guarding, protection, etc. In general the breed is supposed to bond closely with people - but not too many people! - and do a particular job. They're intelligent and hard working under the right hand, but typically aloof: you won't see them greeting strangers like a Labrador would.

All of this translates as a serious dog with (too much) power - some individuals can't handle that. Hence you get dogs with aggression, anxiety, and other behavioral problems. Some people just don't provide a proper outlet for physical/mental energy and that is where the problem is.

You also have people breeding these dogs for profit. Resulting in poor health and an unstable temperament. I don't know how many GSDs i see come through that have anxiety issues and are unable to cope with boarding/grooming without pitching a fit.

So in a sense, yes. The breed has a bad rap but with reason. Too many unstable poorly bred examples and not enough smart owners who handle the animal properly. Then you've got people who don't recognize canine body language and provoke an animal unintentionally (wagging tail does NOT mean "i'm friendly, come love up on me") but that's a whole other story.

A well bred, stable GSD is a lovely animal and can make a wonderful pet for the right family. A friend in middle/high school had two of them and they where the best dogs ever. Very well adjusted and friendly once they warmed up to me.

• 4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Are German Shepherds naturally aggressive?

I want to get a german shepherd but I keep hearing stories about them attacking people for no good reason. I personally think they must have had bad owners but I need to be sure. Can someone please explain to me why this happens?

Source(s): german shepherds naturally aggressive: https://biturl.im/pUTXt
  • 6 years ago

I agree with Ronaldo. I have had German Shepherds for the past 20 years.

I had 3 children who were raised with German Shepherds nad they too all have all of their fingers and toes.

The thing was, the dogs knew if they did something wrong, I was the Alpha. The kids learned not to tease the dogs, bother them while they were eating or sleeping. If the kids did something to the dog, they would get in trouble. I NEVER, EVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH ANY OF MY DOGS.

My dogs are excellent watchdogs and at the same time if they get out, I am not worried about them biting someone.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    6 years ago

Most German Shepherd are loyal loving dogs. Most cases of them being aggressive are just a case of ban owners. Aggressive shepherds are most likely beaten/abused or trained to be aggressive. My shepherd recently passed away back in April due to cancer but she was really the sweetest dog I have ever had or met. Most shepherds can be very territorial of there yards and family though.

Source(s): I had a German shepherd for 9 years
  • 4 years ago

german shepherds naturally aggressive

• Karen
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Not naturally aggressive. My dog will bark inside the house at the door if she hears the metal mailboxes being closed across the street. But if I'm sitting on the porch with her the mailwoman will come right up to her and pet her. Maybe it has to do with my presence, but shes protecting her property. Shes real sweet, but if she cant see what or who is making noise on the other side of the door, she'll bark like shes going to bite somebodys leg off. But after shes gained your trust, and dont scare her, shes the sweetest!

• 3 years ago

No they are not natuarally agressive. When they are treated as a loving family member they bond greatly too them. With kids they are very protective, you want a nanny dog get a GSD. I have seen them playing with kids like any other dog, they can be very emotional when scolded. They natuarally want to be the best dog they can be. I have had GSDs for over thirty years, each one the best dog ever. My last one was super social but the politest dog you have ever seen. When approaching a stranger she would sit politely in front of them and wait to be approached. She spooked our neighbor several times because how quiet she was and loved her she would sneak up behind her and sit quietly until my neighbor turned around. She loved my neighbor petting her.

• 6 years ago

The male owners are usually aggressive I have found, due to the fact that they think they own an aggressive dog. Of course all dogs are soft unless taught to behave differently. Shepherds often go off their legs when they get older which is terribly sad if you are the loving owner.

• Carol
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/0ZAxj

No dog is naturally aggressive. It's irresponsible owners that make them that way. This dog may have seen you as a threat for approaching to close to "his" territory.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.