Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAir Travel · 7 years ago

Why are you asked to take off shoes during an airplane crash?

I was watching an airplane crash investigation show where the plane was going down & the cabin crew were telling passengers to take their shoes off. Why? Wouldn't you want to have your shoes on to step through any debris, etc?

Update:

Also wouldn't loose shoes in the cabin pose a threat as a projectile?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favourite answer

mostly its in case you have to use the emergency slide/chutes

shoes can easily damage the slide

• 7 years ago

Some shoes such as those with high heels can puncture the inflatable slide. Wearing shoes such as sneakers are usually better.

Also before the Singapore Airlines crash in Taiwan, the flight attendants used to wear the slipper-shoes they switch to during mid-flight. When the flight crashed, some of the flight attendants lost their shoes and sustained injuries to their feet from debris. That is why on Singapore Airline flights, the flight attendants now have these sling-back shoes that cover the toes and later on will switch to the slipper-type shoes. Then upon landing, they will switch back to the shoes which cover their toes.

• 4 years ago

Cabin Crew Shoes

• 6 years ago

It's not only heels that may damage the chutes, but rubber soles prevent you from sliding as quickly. When you leap from the door and land on the chute, if you don't happen to hit butt first, but feet first, then you may fall forward and hit the ground face first. If you're in your socks and hit feet first, then your feet will slip out from under you and you'll land on your butt anyway. Of course, this comes at the risk of stepping on debris, fire and fuel. Personally, I'd rather have my shoes.

Source(s): Source: Dated a flight attendant in 2007.
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • C.M. C
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Michael, if your in an emergency situation and need to get out, they cabin crew engages the shuts, with shoes and heels these can damage the shuts.

• Dash
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

For water landing you need to be ready to swim. For all other landing you leave your shoes on.

• 7 years ago

I would leave them on. You can always kick them off.

• 7 years ago

Maybe it's in case you have to swim.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.