I'm a first time home buyer, should I try for a WHEDA, FHA, or USDA?

I can put $20,000 as a down payment. Please help, there are so many different thoughts and comments out there and I don't what to believe.

My wife and I are looking for a house between 100,000 and 120,000 dollars

This question is EXACTLY what you should ask your mortgage broker. Find one in your area that can help. It will be well worth it.

OPM: Other People's Money. Get the maximum mortgage with the lowest down payment. FHA is the most popular and requires 3.5% down payment. USDA is $0 down but limited to rural areas. Not familiar with the other one.

Ideally you should use WHEDA with a conventional loan. That way you could afford to pay 20% down, plus closings costs and not be subject to private mortgage insurance.

But I have to wonder if you would even qualify for WHEDA since it is designed for lower income first time buyers, and lower income buyers don't tend to have $20k lying around. But definitely give it a try,

I guess you live in Wisconsin. As a former mortgage broker who sold such, FHA is great. Only requires 640 credit score to pass, and if better = better interest rate. But as a first time buyer, there is SO much to know. Here is a link to help you sort it out. It is from a solid source (HUD):

http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/topics/bu...

call your bank first

and ask your RE buyer's agent.

NEVER buy without having a RE BA

• Caren

usda, rural, hard to sell sometimes because it's far away from things.

without knowing the sales price, no one can answer your question.