Can I make my own gun safe?

I was wondering if I'm able to make my own gun safe? I live in VIC, Australia.

My father said he can make one for me instead of buying one. He wants to use those old school lockers.

Old school locker?...... As another pointed out - it will prevent a casual thief from breaking in.... For a determined thief a locker with the right tools might not find it a challenge..... Don't let this deter you...... I use lockers for my less expensive guns.... They are bolted to a wall and have another lock on it and a hidden lock on them also..... They might look like and easy target but they are not.... Also --- Do as I did ~ have a separate alarm on the doors....

Gun Safes Australia

Homemade Gun Safe

LOL. Go right ahead. I wouldn't try, and I can comfortably say I probably know significantly more about safes than you. Enough to know that even though I've worked on them, installed locks and changed combinations, as well as done simple drilling repairs, there is NO WAY IN HELL I would try to build one.

So, good luck with that. Here in the United States, in order to even be classified as a "safe" it must meet certain standards for tool and torch resistance. Most "safes" which are advertised as such here are actually considered "Residential Security Containers" or RSC's.

A locker does not have near the thickness of steel required, nor the proper hinges, nor the proper welds, nor anywhere close to the proper lock, to be even laughably be called an RSC. You would have to build it from the ground up, using rated materials I doubt you could get, even if you could find them.

But hey, if you can, more power to you. Expect to pay several times what a new safe would cost for an equally secure homemade safe.

Let us know how that works out for you.

Yes, but with anything there is a dollar value to safety. You can make a real simple safe out of an old school locker that would stop the casual thief but any thief that brings a few tools will be able to break it open. There is also the issue of the thieves just picking up the safe and carrying it away.

Try this approach. take the old school locker and put it on its back. Pour in 2 inches of concrete so it forms a two inch thick back wall. Then put it on the left side and do the same thing. Right side, upside down and right side up. Now you have a locker that inside has two inches of concrete on all the walls. Take off the door and do the same thing, making sure the latch and hinges work. Now you have what looks like an ordinary locker but it has two inches of concrete on all sides. With some planning you can put on a really good hasp lock and a quality lock which will defeat most casual thieves.

OR.......they have gun safes that are pretty cheap that can be mounted between two studs of your home.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Can I make my own gun safe?

Source(s): gun safe: https://tr.im/m6w9w
  • BBean

Most school lockers that I have experience with are co-dependently manufactured. That means that 1 locker needs the second locker to make one of the walls to have 1 encloser. They are manufactured that way to save steel and schools are usually tight budgeted that one wall to serve 2 lockable compartments is welcomed. Yes there is an end piece to complete a row of assembled lockers.

Bottom line is that anyone with ingenuity and the right tools can make a gun safe. I would pack sheet rock(gypsum board) inside it to fireproof it a little and also add weight.

they work for gun storage. school lockers are made of a heavier material than some of the cheaper gun safes. i've known of a cpl old guys that use them.

• Mr.357

Sure. A pop dispensing machine would probably be more secure. Just remove the guts. The case is rather substantial and has a decent lock. If you leave the Pepsi logo on it, why would anyone even look in it for guns?

You can probably assemble a metal compartment that can be locked. You can even call it a safe if you want to. But I won't. Neither will the guy who breaks it open and steals your stuff.