How would you describe a RSL club in Australia?

For my work I travel and hold special functions in RSL clubs. I've been in many clubs and to me they seem like places to eat and play the pokies.

Am I missing something?

Btw I immigrated from the United States so it could be that once again I'm ignorant for an important purpose they hold :-)

Appreciate the answers guys. Your answers pointed me back to my personal opinion of what the clubs really mean. I am aware of what RSL stands for-- Returned and Service Legauge :-). I have asked several people what lured people to RSL clubs and their answers have been for cheap food, drinks, and the pokies. I was hoping to hear some deep revelation about the real meaning since the clubs are all over place.

My biased opinion is the clubs are glorified places to drink “in style”!

• enns

Rsl Club

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Am I missing something?

Btw I immigrated from the United States so it could be that once again I'm ignorant for an important purpose they...

Source(s): describe rsl club australia: https://tr.im/fHi7V
  • O

good question Red at least you are attempting understanding so further to the excellant answer from C.M.C. here are some more facts

yes the social aspect is important however it is the profits from the clubs that are put back into the local community which is the real reason for the importance of the clubs... they have aged care facilities and do support for widows and of the fallen and not just financial support but physical aid for example subsided tradesmen plumbers etc are available through the clubs

also the security of all the staff is a big part of it once you get a job in an RSL club you become part of a sort of family and there are people who work there for ten and more years and love their club love their work and form special friendships with the regular patrons all adding to the friendly atmosphere and sense of pride members of the clubs feel when they visit their local

the respect factor also is part of the clubs ethos and every evening they play the "ode of rememberance" and all patrons and all staff stop what they are doing and turn to the east in silence for one minute and this is taken very seriously

so hope the above helps you to understand the clubs are much much much more than just a glorified place to drink in style...!!!

the link below from youtube is the ode of rememberance

then at the end we all quietly say "lest we forget"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1Blw_hbp1o

Youtube thumbnail

RSLs mean different things to different people in different states. To my father, a NSW Returned Serviceman, they were solemn places to gather with wartime mates once or twice a year to remember and commemorate fallen mates. To the widows of returned servicemen, they were places to get together with other widows of returned servicemen and think about their fallen or deceased husbands and pass some time in safe and un-pretentious surroundings. To younger generations they are/were places to go for a good honest meal and a few drinks with friends. For many now they are places to go for all of the above and pass a few mindless hours in the company of poker machines and subsidised meals and drinks.

I should add that RSLs in Victoria are not so much ruled by alcohol and pokies as they are in NSW.

• C.M. C

Red, I am Canadian, and I went to a number of RSL clubs also, they are not just for eating and drinking or playing the slots. Did you ever ask or try and find out what R.S.L. stands for or means?

It was originally set up for the returned servicemen of the past, for them to meet up and socialize with their "mates" and catch up. Similar to the legions clubs in the US and Canada, but the Australians managed to do it with class.

It's not boozing or playing the slots, but it's for the entertainment, and other associated activities, like deep sea fishing and lawn bowls, some clubs have cricket, soccer, softball, rugby teams for the children, grand children and great grand children of these returned services people.

Yep, I did not immigrate to Australia, and I made it my mission to try and find out about places and events, in your case, it's called being ignorant.