Tips to wean my 2 year old?

I have been nursing for 4.5 years!! Tandum nursed and nursed all through pregnancy #2.

My little one is weeks shy of being two years old and I really want to wean him! But he just bugs and bugs to nurse. Distractions only last a few minutes then he's tugging on my shirt again!

He isn't talking yet so we can't really communicate or feed him stories about why it went away blah blah blah

I tried the vinegar/ lemon juice trick and he just makes a stink face and goes for it anyway! I feel like I will never be free of nursing

Any help / advice appreciated !

• Rose

Weaning is always the hard part I am currently pregnant and breastfeeding as well and I know at some point I will have to wean the other and the trick is I started to supplement bottles now here and there just to get my baby used to the idea of something other then my breast. But regardless breast always trumps everything else when it comes to comfort levels bed time my little one won't touch a bottle. So the best thing you can do is try something a little sweat to get them into the idea. Like a little organic juice the bottle or even some sweat organic chocolate soy milk that stuff really packs a punch on the sweet level. That's how I introduced the bottle was with something a little sweet and being your baby is already two these things won't bother your child at all. By the time my baby will be born my youngest will almost be two so I figure with any luck I will have them on the bottle full time but we will see LOL

• Pippin

If you feel you must wean, you still want to do it as gently as possible. (No cold turkey, no spanking, no punishment.) And it's not about 'being the boss.

Even if he isn't yet talking much, he probably understands quite a bit. So lots of distraction, heading him off at the pass (at times he commonly wants to nurse, get him involved in something else), delay ("we'll nurse as soon as I'm done with X,") having him spend more time with daddy, etc.

There may be times when he'll get upset -- but you still want to do it as gently as you can, to minimize the misery.

• K

Don't let him 1 time out of the day u usually do for 3 days maybe. Then take out 2 feedings then 3. So on. I'm stopping before a year. 8 mnths I think. She is 6 1/2 months now.

• Anna

I did something slightly unhealthy but it worked.

I bought pediasure. Chocolate or strawberry milk would do the same. In a special cup with a special straw.

I offered this whenever my daughter wanted to nurse (which was only at night at that point). It took about 2 weeks for her to forget about my breasts. When she was "over" the boob then I worked on weaning her off the SUGARY CRAPPY UNHEALTHY drink. I diluted it with regular milk over the course of a month or so and then stopped buying it so she now only drinks whole cow or almond milk.

It's unhealthy bc don't be fooled - pediasure is crap in a bottle - but I figured this was the only tear free way I could think of. I also justified about 1 month of feeding her this crap knowing that I had just provided her w 2 years of breast milk which did her body so good.

Source(s): Weaned my daughter 2 weeks shy of her 2nd birthday.
  • ?

if he is pulling up your shirt to nurse, he is past the point where he needs to be weaned off the breast. go cold turkey and give him other foods. if he's eating regular foods, he really doesn't get many nutrients from breast feeding anyway, its more for you and his emotional needs at this point.

Stop offering the breast,if you don't give in he can't nurse can he? who is the boss here?

K -- babies need breast milk to age one.

But good advice for weaning. Slowly stop one feed a day, every few days. In no time, your milk will have dried up.

Going cold turkey will cause engorgement.

If nursing seems like being bugged to you then it is time to wean him. He should be talking by now & you should be able to communicate with him if he is 2yrs old. Since he is special needs you need to speak to your sons doctor.

It's simple....don't give in to him. You're an adult and the "boss". Just say NO.

• Carlie

Just stop giving it to him. Tell him no. Spank him.