Can my friend sleep over in my hotel when I'm visiting him? Should I book the room for 2?

I am visiting and meeting my friend in Georgia for the very first time, so it's a pretty exciting moment for me. We've discussed our plans on what to do around Georgia and he wants to spend the night in my hotel room one night out of three nights I'm staying there.

What should I do about this? Should I book the room for 2 adults although only I am sleeping in the room by myself for all three nights while it's only one night he wants to sleep over?

I'm staying at an EconoLodge, which is fairly cheap in price. They only charge 3 more dollars a night for 2 people compared to just one. And they don't charge extra for 2 double beds! Should I just book the room for 2?

I don't want him or me to get in trouble or fined more if he gets caught sleeping in my room when only I am paying to stay there.

What should I do? Thanks!

• MS

Book the room for 2. In cases where they charge more for 2 people than they do for 1, you can be breaking the law by not registering and paying for both guests - it's called defrauding an innkeeper. Most hotels charge the same rate for 1 or 2 people, but it sounds like this is an exception.

• Orla C

Tell the hotel that you'll be on your own for some nights and will have a friend staying with you for other nights. If you are paying for the room, the rate shouldn't change, but some hotels charge per person.

• Hazel

You should probably book the room for two. Some hotels do not allow more than one guest to stay in a room meant for one person as it can be considered a fire hazard. If it's not much more money to book for two, it is probably worth doing it just in case. It never hurts to be safe than sorry.

Pay the extra for the 2nd person and avoid the possibility of problems

• Ryan

Don't forget the lube and condoms.