Is it ever okay to join a group of college students (four) at a table to discuss class?

so today i saw four classmates who share the same class as me. I'm in desperate need of friends so i decided id take it upon myself to introduce myself. Typically i am shy and reserved but i thought how would i ever make friends if i never step out of my comfort zone? so before i sat down i asked if i may... show more so today i saw four classmates who share the same class as me. I'm in desperate need of friends so i decided id take it upon myself to introduce myself.

Typically i am shy and reserved but i thought how would i ever make friends if i never step out of my comfort zone?

so before i sat down i asked if i may sit with them and they were okay with it. they said "its okay...i guess"

I said "well my name is Shelly" and they nodded and were awkward about it. and i asked what they're names were

and they told me and then they suddenly excused themselves. I reminded them that class doesn't start for another hour.

they said "we know. we just have to go..."

and i said "okay.." and then i wandered the halls to the other side of school to see them at another random table. i couldn't help but feel hurt. why were they so rude?
Update: they hurt my feelings :(