Car starts but won't drive? Why?

Car starts but won't drive? Why?

I have a 2003 Ford Taurus its at about 180,000 miles. Ran just fine until today. I was driving with no problems when I came to a stoplight. When the light turned green I pressed on the gas and the RPM meter flew past 4 and stayed there. I barely made it pass the intersection, my car would no longer accelerate. I image you have to press hard for the RPM to go that high..and I definitely wasn't pressing hard. Please I'm in need of advice & feedback! Thanks!

Sounds like the transmission wasn't engaging and going into 1st. Could be a sensor??? You'd have to get it looked a by a mechanic. Hard to know without seeing it.

• Donald

Sounds like a problem with your transmission. Check the fluid level. If that's not the problem, take it to a mechanic. Revving your engine can damage your engine; running your car without transmission fluid can damage the transmission.

My first thought is that a CV joint has failed. While it could be a transmission failure- often these give warning signs of failure.