Beverly asked in PetsFish · 4 years ago

I have seen in the pet stores salt for fish tanks. I have a 10 gallon fresh water tank with 2 Gold Fish. What are the benefits?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 years ago
    Best answer

Most freshwater isn't really fresh, it contains various salts

Tap water has little to no salts ,

adding sodium chloride/salt helps chemical and biologic processes in the aquarium and in the fish

The quantity and how important it might be depends on the type of fish.

A tank like yours could have one tablespoons of aquarium salt added (not all at once)

And a teaspoon when you do a partial water change

A higher quantity would be added if needed for treatment of some diseases

As you can see, there's some disagreement on whether it should be used regularly or just for treatment

• Amber
    Lv 7
    4 years ago

There are none. It's for when the fish is sick, and usually salt doesn't help a whole lot more than clean water would.

Did you know?

Goldfish need 3 gallons of water per inch of fish. For two goldfish in a 10 gallon, your fish would have to be under 2 inches still. Please upgrade soon as a 10 gallon is not a forever home for these fish.

• Beverly
      Lv 6
      4 years agoReport

What is prime? And what does it do for the fish.

• 4 years ago

I would not go down that route, you dont need salt, add prime to all new water instead. buuuttt, 2 fancy goldfish need no less than 30 gallons. 2 common goldfish need more like 75 gallons of water.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

2 gold fish in a 10 gallon is way too overstocked I suggest you buy a bigger tank immediately!

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Sara
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

none really for goldfish.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.