Hemingway had many things to say about other writers during his lifetime. Does anyone know if he ever mentioned Charles Dickens?

I'd like to know if Hemingway admired Dickens or not.

• Thomas

I don't know that Hemingway ever mentioned Charles Dickens. I'm sure Hemingway had read Dickens and admired hm as a writer. There are some similarities between Hemingway's writings and Dickens are often compared to each other. It is possible that would be why Hemingway would not want to mention Charles Dickens. It is possible that Hemingway modeled some of his writing after that of Dickens. Both Hemingway and Dickens wrote at standing desks. Dickens would often act out his stories using different voices for each character. My view is that Hemingway admired Dickens but had his own style. Dickens wrote rather lengthy sentences influenced by a classical education which included read Latin. Hemingway is known for brevity of speech as in his famous "Novel is six words: Baby shoes for sale, never worn".

• Andrew

I couldn't find any verifiable quotes on what Hemingway had to say about Dickens. While I have heard them being compared to one another, I think that's mostly due to the fact that Dickens is considered to be one of the quintessential British authors and Hemingway one of the quintessential American authors. Stylistically, the two couldn't be more opposite. Dickens can be quite long-winded and verbose while Hemingway is known for his simple, straightforward sentences. Both were descriptive writers in their own way, and both were masters at creating characters, but Hemingway's plots often propelled themselves forward as events outside the characters' control bore them on while Dickens plots often relied on an almost ridiculous suspension of belief in terms of coincidence. Aside from "For Whom the Bell Tolls", which curls along like a lazy Spanish river, Hemingway's novels move right along in comparison to Dickens' books where pieces slowly come together over the course of many chapters.

.