Hulo asked in PetsFish · 3 years ago

What are Some good betta tankmates other than Neon Tetras?

I'm getting Another Betta Fish Tomorrow And I would like to get Some Tankmates, other than neon tetras. Please help?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 years ago

In my 10gal tank I have 3 embers (will be getting more), 3 pearl cestial danios, and I am planning on getting an albino bristlenose pleco. Basically any fish that doesn't have a long tail, and lives on the mid or bottom layer of tank.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Akeath
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

For a male Betta -

5 gallon options:

Nerite Snails - require a pH of 7.0 or higher, sinking algae wafers, and a small piece of cuttlebone for calcium supplementation

10 gallon options:

African Dwarf Frogs - require live/frozen foods such as glassworms, brine shrimp, and daphnia as their staple food, target fed with a turkey baster

15 gallon (choose 1):

Pygmy Corydoras Catfish, Dwarf Cordoras Catfish - need at least 8 of their own kind

Kuhli Loaches - need at least 5 of their own kind, a smooth sand substrate, and sinking foods

Platies - need a pH of 7.0 or higher, at least 3 of their own kind (all males in smaller tanks so their breeding won't overstock the tank). If a male Betta, needs to have a peaceful enough personality that it accepts colorful tank mates.

Vietnam Minnows - need at least 6 of their own kind, peaceful male.

20 gallon (could fit both species with the Betta)

Black Neon Tetras - need at least 6 of their own kind

regularly sized Corydoras Catfish species - at least 4 of their own kind, sinking omnivore foods, smooth sand substrate

Those were all assuming a male Betta who tolerates tank mates.

If you have a female Betta, the options open up even more.

For a female Betta, which are much better community fish than males, other options include:

10 gallon:

Dwarf or Mosquito Rasboras - get at least 6 of the specific species

Ember Tetras - get at least 6

15 gallon:

Guppies - need 3 of their own kind, with 2 females per male if mixing sexes

20 gallon:

Cherry Barbs

Harlequin Rasboras

plus all the options that would work for a male.

For either sex, you need to stay away from fin nippers (most Danios, some loaches, most Barbs, etc), avoid all Gouramis, and also active fish that would make the Betta nervous with constant activity (Danios, Rainbowfish, etc). For males, you want to avoid other fish with long, flowing fins as well (such as Guppies)

• 3 years ago

In a ten gallon tank, or larger,

6 harlequin rasbora.

or 5 kuhli loaches

In a 20 gallon or larger,

dwarf or pygmy cories, or black neons, glolight tetra, maybe cherry barbs, oto cats

in a 30 gallon,

gold barbs, odessa barbs, dwarf neon rainbowfish,

• 3 years ago

My betta have always done well with Danios and platys, they're good entertainment and mine have always seemed to relieve stress/reassure saftey for my betta, not sure if that's the same for everyone though, maybe mine are just good tempered.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.