My daughter's bike recently broke, is it mean to make her wait until her birthday for a new bike?

It wasn't her fault her bike got broke. She was knocked off it by a car. She uses her bike everyday - well not at the moment as she's in plaster casts - as she cycles to school, she's also part of our local triathlon club. She's just a very active teenager. She's been asking when she'll be... show more It wasn't her fault her bike got broke. She was knocked off it by a car. She uses her bike everyday - well not at the moment as she's in plaster casts - as she cycles to school, she's also part of our local triathlon club. She's just a very active teenager.
She's been asking when she'll be getting another bike as she wants to know if she'll have a bike to compete in a local bike race - the casts we'll be off by then. My partner and I have told her she has to wait and see. We bought her a bike a couple months back for her birthday which is next month. I'm starting to feel bad about it, she's a good kid and I know that this race means a lot to her, it's giving her something to look forward to as she hates not being able to be as active as she was. It's weird to me having her inside all the time.
My partner wants to wait on letting her have the bike as it was expensive and we'd have to find her something else for her birthday if we just outrightly replace the bike now. I just feel mean making her wait.
Update: The race is well after her birthday and all the places never get filled as you can sign up on the day.
Update 2: We have insurance, we don't know who hit her as the car drove off. It happened just outside the village we live in. To be honest, we gave our daughter the option of pursuing it to find who did it, but she's chosen not to. She always wears her helmet, she's not allowed out of the front gate without it.