Why do people get German Shepherds, purely for looks and then not even train them?

I have known several people who have adopted German Shepherds, because they're "tough" and "cool dogs" and that's it. They keep them tied in their yard. And they feed them and give them water. That's it. That is the degree of their interaction with their dogs. People do this with... show more I have known several people who have adopted German Shepherds, because they're "tough" and "cool dogs" and that's it. They keep them tied in their yard. And they feed them and give them water. That's it. That is the degree of their interaction with their dogs. People do this with their pit bulls as well, and it drives me equally as crazy. I don't get it. So you want to look cool, by neglecting your dog, and getting one that will probably go apeshit and eat someone's face because they've lived an awful life tied up and don't know how to handle people? I just, don't understand this. Probably just the area I live in, but good god, I see it all the time, and even know people who have done that, my ex boyfriend had a Shepherd and a pit bull that he just chained up as "guard dogs." Has anyone else noticed this? And if you do this, why are you a jerk? Why would you leave a dog on a rope or chain, to just sit there and be brought food every so often as their only source of seeing their owner?