Does it matter what note is played first in a scale?

I'm new to composing music. I have a piece on synth that starts on a B note however it has an A note in it too and the notes align with the A minor scale but not the B scale. Sorry for my amateur understanding, would this be in A minor scale because it has A, B, C, and D notes or would it be a B scale because it starts on B and is mostly relying on that B note and it's just out of tune??

You can start on any note at all, regardless of the key. The key simply dictates whether each note is played as a flat, natural or a sharp. Because you are writing in a particular key doesn't mean you have to start on that note, on the contrary, more often than not, your first note will be different.

Your question is not really clear enough, but I'm going to try anyway...

A "B scale" means the "B Major scale" and it has almost NO notes in common with the A minor scale.

A natural minor: A B C D E F G A

B major : B C# D# E F# G A#

Thus, if you use the notes from A minor in order but you start and end on B, you are NOT playing in B major.

Whether you are playing in A minor or not depends on which notes get emphasis, thereby implying a chord or key. I can't tell you what you are playing without hearing it.

It is possible that you could be playing in A minor, though. If you start and end on B, you might naturally emphasize the sound of B diminished (the ii chord in A minor).

A piece of music isn't "in" a scale: it's "in" a key and "uses" a scale. The first note of a piece of music, or the note that is used most often doesn't determine the key.

The Am scale uses the notes A B C D E F G

The B scale uses the notes B C# D# E F# G# A#

Unless your tune is very odd it will use the notes from one of these scales (or another scale). Play each of these scales and see which one it is that you're taking the notes from for your tune. This will determine which scale you are using and, therefore, which key it is in.

Of course, taking Am as an example, the relative major scale (C) contains the same notes (C D E F G A B) in a different order. If your tune starts and ends on an Am chord then it's in Am; if it starts and ends on a C chord then it's in C major.