I am trying to rezone a building, What are your experiences with this process ?

The building that I am looking to purchase is in a C-2 zone. We are hoping to change the zoning to either a C-1 or C-3. I expect 45-60 days for this process to complete. If my rezoning application gets denied, my business may be in jeopardy.

• G

It's totally dependent upon the city/county/local government you're appealing to, and their zoning process and desire to have the particular business in the community. Typically rezoning is a discretionary action that requires public notice and public hearing, and would not be done in 60 days.

Get a plan b. Find another property with the your desired zoning as a back up plan. But chances are high it won't be a problem if the building stands alone considering the change isn't to industrial. Also don't forget the possibility of getting a special use permit if the zoning doesn't get approved, as that is also easily done when stepping down from C-2 to C-1. Often its not even necessary, but it depends on state and county law.

If rezoning is critical to your business then the common sense approach would be to not purchase the building until you are sure the rezone application will be approved. Your purchase offer should be contingent on successful rezoning. Or you could simply look for another property that is already zoned appropriately for your business needs.