How can I obstruct a new owner of a building from kicking me out?

The building I run my business out of was sold and the new owner gave me until October 1st to get out. I heard that sometimes you can get an extension on your rental stay through the government. Does anyone know anything ?

12 Answers

  • 3 years ago

    If you had a written lease, you are allowed to stay until the lease expires. The new owner must honor it.

    If there is no lease, it's a month-to-month rental. Unless you are in one of the few states that requires 60 day notice (two full months, actually), then one month (30 days) is required. If you were told by the new owner after August 1st (they have until August 31st), then you are allowed by law to stay through September.

    They are following the law. There is no other law that allows you to extend, or force an owner to give you an extension. Your only option is to negotiate an extension with the new owner. If that's a no, then be out or be evicted.

  • tro
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

    not there is no such gov't assurance

    if the new owner does not accept your rental agreement he has given you ample time to relocate

  • 3 years ago

    Not for commercial/business property. You might try negotiating with the landlord. However, the new owner may be planning to renovate the structure.

  • 3 years ago

    You heard wrong. Where on earth did you hear such a ridiculous thing? The government NEVER tells private owners what they must do with their buildings, NEVER tells businesses how to run their businesses or anything of the like. The owner/landlord has every right to run his business how he sees fit, so long as it is within the law, meaning, he cannot do something illegal. Be out by Oct. 1. You have had two months' notice, right? Look around for empty commercial businesses in your area. You are likely to find several, if your area is anything like mine. If you have trouble finding a place, enlist the help of a realtor.

    Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 3 years ago

    No. He gave you more than enough time. Stop being a jerk and prepare to leave or negotiate an extension with your new landlord if you need a little more time.

  • 3 years ago

    If you are currently on a lease, you have broken that lease by conducting a commercial business out of your rental unit.

    This is a breach of your lease agreement. You are n ot permitted to conduct a commercial business out of your rental unit

    If you are on a month to month tenancy, again you could be given the proper notice that you are conducting a business out of your rental and you would be issued a notice to move.

    If you fail to move by the October date you have been given to move, your landlord would be required to apply for a legal eviction through the court and have a judge sign a legal eviction notice for you to move.

    This legal eviction would allow your anywhere from 5, perhaps 14 days to remove yourself and all your personal item from your rental unit. The number of days would be listed on your legal eviction signed by the judge.

    You are not able to obstruct or refuse to move as after the number of a local law enforcement agent would appear at your door and have you remove yourself and all your persona items from the rental unit.

    At this time your landlord would request your keys and also change or re-key the locks on the door to your apartment.

    If for some reason you return to the rental unit the landlord can call the police and have you arrested for trespassing.

    This court proceeding would become a civil conviction on your credit and background checks, for a minimum of 7-10 years. This civil conviction would affect you for 3 years in you being able to rent another rental unit.

    As of now you have no conviction on your credit or background check. If you move on or before October, you would not have a civil conviction on your background or credit report.

    Save yourself a lot of legal heartache and find a place to move onor before October.

    I hope this has been of some benefit to you, good luck.

    "FIGHT ON"

  • 3 years ago

    Any obstruction you cause will bring the sheriff to the property to usher you out.Then he will charge you.

  • 3 years ago

    It's called squatting.

  • 3 years ago

    The only time you can get an extension is if your landlord broke the law in evicting you discovered in eviction court. But you aren't (and shouldn't desire) going to eviction court and instead complying with a landlord's demand because you lack the legal right to stay.

    The way to obstruct getting kicked out is to buy your right to stay by offering to pay a higher rent that he might consider worthwhile. Then get it in writing that you can by drawing up a lease, even in the short term. Then learn from this lesson how having a lease serves you just as much as it does a landlord. Good Luck.

  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

    The new owner takes over you contract from the previous landlord, so what does that contract state, if you are in the middle of the contract then the new owner can't ask you to leave, if you are a month to month tenant the new owner has given you notice to leave by 1st Oct....... never heard of a Government over riding a private rental contract

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.