Should big dogs be kept on their leads at all times?

Last night at about 10:30pm me and my S.O were walking our dogs, a husky and a german shepherd. Both are big dogs yet are very friendly and trained to a good extent. We were walking the dogs on a public path which is usually rather quiet yet popular with dog walkers. A couple in their 60's who had obviously... show more Last night at about 10:30pm me and my S.O were walking our dogs, a husky and a german shepherd. Both are big dogs yet are very friendly and trained to a good extent. We were walking the dogs on a public path which is usually rather quiet yet popular with dog walkers. A couple in their 60's who had obviously been at some kind of party/show walked towards us and our husky happily skipped up to them with his tail wagging and ears back. The women shouted 'Get that thing on a lead!' And my boyfriend ran up and said sorry don't worry, he's friendly. The women went to hit the dog with her bag and he jumped back. They continued to shout that that dog shouldn't be allowed in public, etc, if the woman had said 'please put him on a lead, I don't like dogs' it wouldn't have been a problem.
20 answers 20