Can NPCs in Pokémon Gold/Silver call you when you’re standing still outside a cave?

And do they hang up if you don’t answer? I’m asking because I want a stone and don’t want to move onto the Ice Path yet. There’s nothing left for me to do to pass the time.

• Will

They can, but obviously time has to pass. I discovered a trick back when Gold, Silver, and Crystal were first released. Get the phone numbers of just those trainers, go to your home, and repeatedly switch back and forth between daylight savings time. Due to the change in time, the trainers will almost always call you immediately afterwards. Most of the time they'll call to talk or wanting to battle, but they will occassionally say they found something, the stone. Doing this is also a good way to train and make money since their pokemon do get stronger over time.

I don't know what has changed in the remakes of Gold and Silver though.

As far as I know you don't get the evolutionary stones until you get to Kanto, from Bill's Grandfather.

I'd recommend moving on to Ice Path - it's hard I know, because the level curve isn't great in the Johto games, but good luck.