What bit should I use for my horse?

I recently got a horse quite cheap due to bucking and rearing (although this hasn't happened with me)as a sort of project, I ended up falling in love and keeping him. The only thing is I don t know what bit to use, he came in a french-link loose-ring snaffle which was fine for a while. I got him into jumping... show more I recently got a horse quite cheap due to bucking and rearing (although this hasn't happened with me)as a sort of project, I ended up falling in love and keeping him.
The only thing is I don t know what bit to use, he came in a french-link loose-ring snaffle which was fine for a while.

I got him into jumping which he loves and now when I m jumping, flatwork, hacking or just lunging he s so strong in the mouth and refuses to listen to the bit. This also leads to me not being able to steer him very well.

I ve tried different bits on him like a straight bar bit which he treated the same as his snaffle, and also a gag. The gag was good at controlling his speed but he hates it, he would hold his head up really high and open his mouth alot so I m guessing it could have been hurting his mouth.
I went to a SJ competition at the weekend and used the gag because it was working at home and he was being really strong so I put it on the harshest setting and he was going around fine in the warm up ring (only he was opening his mouth a little). When I went in the ring he jumped the first one fine but then started to flip out at the second by rearing and again at the third, I decided to retire. The second time I went in the ring I put it on the lowest setting (normal snaffle) and he went round fine, only I had hardly any control in steering and speed.

Can anyone recommend anything, maybe training him to listen to his bit or getting something else??
Thought I might try a twisted snaffle?