Do young officers boss around a senior enlisted man?

Im reading a book about Vietnam and in one part of the story, a young lieutenant barely 21 is depicted as condescending and berating the platoon sergeant major - a man in his 40s. The sergeant snaps and punches the lieutenant and when the colonel hears what happened, he is not sympathetic to the LT. I also read... show more Im reading a book about Vietnam and in one part of the story, a young lieutenant barely 21 is depicted as condescending and berating the platoon sergeant major - a man in his 40s. The sergeant snaps and punches the lieutenant and when the colonel hears what happened, he is not sympathetic to the LT.

I also read All Quiet on the Western Front and the main character talked about how rank changes people e.g. a lieutenant will boss around a sergeant, a sergeant to a corporal, and a corporal to a private, etc.

What I'm wondering here is how this is received by the enlisted man. I've never seen officers depicted like what you see in the drill instructor from full metal jacket. Like a lieutenant telling a sergeant major he's trash, stupid, or all manner of insults.