Is my stepfather financially abusive?

I'm not looking for stupid answers, please just take this question seriously. I'm 15 and have been noticing my mum is always stressed about money. My stepdad works in IT and gets paid A LOT of money for what he does. My mum raises us but has managed to build her own business but my stepdad is always very... show more I'm not looking for stupid answers, please just take this question seriously. I'm 15 and have been noticing my mum is always stressed about money. My stepdad works in IT and gets paid A LOT of money for what he does. My mum raises us but has managed to build her own business but my stepdad is always very controlling. Any money that HE earns is his money and his money only and he only, but money that my mum earns instantly becomes both his and hers. Whenever he lets her use his card for groceries he demands that receipts be brought back and he is constantly tracking everything and doesn't seem to trust my mum even though she's never given him a reason NOT to trust her. He's always buying things for his biological son but never for me and my siblings - I'm not trying to sound selfish but even at Christmas he didn't get anything for anyone but his own son. Whenever my mum earns money of her own she spends it on wine and cheese for him, but he has not ONCE returned the favour and bought her flowers or a dress or anything. Nothing. I'm not saying he has to buy us heaps of stuff I'm just saying it's a little odd that whenever my mum gets me or my siblings a little gift he always has to butt his nose in asking "how much did that cost?" "You should be saving your money!"
10 answers 10