If someone sits at my table in a restaurant and leaves, am I stuck with their bill?

Okay, so I go to this restaurant because I have a $20 gift card and wanted to use it. Right after I get there an am seated, someone I know comes in and asks if he can join me at my table. He tells the waitress these are on separate checks and orders then I order. When we finish, he goes to use the restroom and a... show more Okay, so I go to this restaurant because I have a $20 gift card and wanted to use it. Right after I get there an am seated, someone I know comes in and asks if he can join me at my table. He tells the waitress these are on separate checks and orders then I order. When we finish, he goes to use the restroom and a little while later the waitress comes over with my check and says, "it looks like your friend ran out on you and left you with the bill." I told her he just went to use the restroom and she says, "No! he left" I look at the check and she had his added to mine. I tried to call his cell phone, no answer. I send him a text, no response.

I had went in with a $20 gift card not expecting to use the whole thing and his bill alone was over $35! I told the waitress these were separate checks and we weren't together, so she came back with the manager and he said he was sorry, I was the last from the table to leave and I was responsible for anyone at the table who didn't pay. I tried to argue with him but he said he didn't have time to mess with me and was going to call the police if I didn't pay. I had $30 cash on me and between that and the gift card I get $1.17 change back. I think the waitress was pissed because all I had was the $1.17 for a tip for the 2 of us but she could had had a nice tip had I not had to pay someone else's bill.

My question is, could the restaurant make me pay someone else's bill just because they sat at my table and ran out?