How do people actually end up governing?

I'm pretty dumb on this kind of thing, so please explain it simply. I'm currently studying the Russian Revolution and something seems really odd to me. My textbook mentions that the Bolsheviks could pretty much gain control as soon as they had stormed the Winter Palace and taken control of government... show more I'm pretty dumb on this kind of thing, so please explain it simply. I'm currently studying the Russian Revolution and something seems really odd to me. My textbook mentions that the Bolsheviks could pretty much gain control as soon as they had stormed the Winter Palace and taken control of government buildings. That, to me, just makes it seem like as soon as you have control over a couple of buildings, suddenly you rule the country?

To me, it just seems ridiculously easy to throw law and order out of the window. On a bit of a different note, everything just seems so easy to surpass? Say if some sort of apocalypse broke out; the government is human, and would probably abandon their posts. In some ways, wouldn't it be more efficient to have, say, a robot or something in charge? I'm not saying that would be a GOOD idea, but the whole system seems so fragile.