Does my car battery need to be replaced after a year?

I just got back from spending the holidays across the country with my family (I was gone for about 12 days) and my car sat in the public parking garage across from my apartment. When I got back my car was completely dead. I had this same exact problem after letting it sit for 2 weeks last year for the holidays.... show more I just got back from spending the holidays across the country with my family (I was gone for about 12 days) and my car sat in the public parking garage across from my apartment. When I got back my car was completely dead. I had this same exact problem after letting it sit for 2 weeks last year for the holidays. That time, the service people at Lexus said my battery was dead and needed to be replaced (no biggie, it was 5 years old), but the guy who jumped me this morning said the same thing and my battery is only a year old (I assumed that they lasted about 4 years or so). I know it's been cold at night (in the 20's and teens), but do I have to replace it already? Will this be a yearly investment because this is my second year with the car and my second time with this issue. Thanks.
12 answers 12