Does my horse need four shoes?

My horse is about 16.2-17hh and is an ottb. He is recovering from a neglect case, but is pretty much fully recovered. He was always sound through everything. The farriers apprentice works at my barn and always told me he had bad feet, but when the farrier saw his hooves he said they were just a little rough around... show more My horse is about 16.2-17hh and is an ottb. He is recovering from a neglect case, but is pretty much fully recovered. He was always sound through everything. The farriers apprentice works at my barn and always told me he had bad feet, but when the farrier saw his hooves he said they were just a little rough around the edges from not being done properly in awhile. Then the apprentice told me that he should get front shoes and i agreed, so i got a pair of fronts on and she told me that he was just too big to have no shoes on but that sounded like a really weird reason to me. He’s been sound since but i haven’t really noticed that much of a difference in how he moves and he seems comfortable both with and without, but now she’s telling me that once he puts on more weight he’ll need four shoes! I just don’t really see the correlation and I’m confused. He isn’t in too much work, mostly just wt and will begin cantering and small jumps within the year. If he really does need them I’ll get it done, but it’s an expense I’d rather not have right now if not necessary.
8 answers 8