Someone left my gate open and my dog got hit by a car?

Morning, I was walking to school today and saw my dog standing near a road. My instincts kicked in and I tried to grab her and she ran into the road. I saw a car hit her and screamed (the lady who hit her got out of the car and came running to our house and was clearly very apologetic so we told her she could... show more Morning,

I was walking to school today and saw my dog standing near a road. My instincts kicked in and I tried to grab her and she ran into the road. I saw a car hit her and screamed (the lady who hit her got out of the car and came running to our house and was clearly very apologetic so we told her she could leave since it was clearly an accident.) Parents took Leelu to a vet, turned out she just broke her back leg and got a little bruised with a small open wound on her head, her heart rate is fine and she didn't break any teeth or bite her tongue (bill is over £1000 and we're tight on money but all that doesn't matter as long as she gets treatment) I'm in such shock, I've been crying for hours, I've just never been so scared- It's crazy, because she's a tiny jack russell and the car was huge, and she came out of it with a broken leg and a few scratches.

So, I'm mainly writing this since someone must have opened our garden gate sometime at night or later this morning. I let Leelu out at around 7 am as I always do and she came back fine (if the gate was open then, she would have run earlier) then my mum let her out at around 8 am, that's when she ran out through the gate. Our gate had a heavy deadbolt on the inside, so someone must have had to reach through to open it, which would be hard but not impossible. I'm going to talk to my neighbours when they come home but other than that, is there a way to find out who did it?

(I included a photo of Leelu)
Update: Just to add, no, she doesn't bark due to her anxiety. Although I do slightly suspect my neighbours of undoing our gate because they never really liked our dog.