Everything looks to be working fine in Desktop PC, but no display?

Hi,

A few days ago I decided to clean my Desktop PC because it was lagging a lot when I was using it. I cleaned the GPU, CPU cooling fan, and the Heatsink which the fan is attached to, all with a vacuum cleaner.

When put all of the cleaned components back in, nothing came up on the display. I did some research and some people said "Clean the RAM Motherboard Connectors with an eraser", so I did, and various other things that they told me to do. After I cleaned it, there were 6 beeps coming from the computer, so I just took the GPU out and put it back in again, and that seemed to fix the issue of the beeps, but there was still no display.

Could I have done something wrong? Please answer as soon as possible as I need this PC for a project.

Regards,

Angus

You could indeed have done something wrong and you clearly have. Either you've dislodged something or it's been zapped by static electricity from the vacuum cleaner nozzle being poked in there. Now, I'm not sure you know how to fix this so in this case I'd recommend taking it to a professional repairer. And keep your fingers crossed.

• MIKE

Wow. a vaccum an eraser lol. What i think happened is you've shorted out something, not necessarily the GPU but one of the parts you took out with static electricity from the vaccum cleaner. Static usually happens when your floors are carpeted, and vaccums are for carpets. I hope thats not what happened to you. Anyway it is difficult to diagnose a hardware problem without physically looking at the hardware. Software problems you could ask us, if by chance we were wrong you can always reinstall software. Hardware on the other hand is delicate. Asking online may give you lots of possible solutions, trust me you would rather not try the many solutions one by one on your parts, touching constantly taking them in and out repeatedly. You should know by now that isnt a good idea. You have to get an expert or bring it to one

The number 1 cause of PC hardware damage is static electricity. Whenever you touch your PC's insides there are things you can do to prevent damages. Like grounding yourself 1st, touching something metal before you touch your hardware. Theres also safety gear like a static bracelet you can use. Or try not to work on carpet if you can but if you have no choice wear sneakers or anything with rubber soles

Having a similar situation as well

I am not knowledgeable on computers, but I can handle the software fairly well. I have the same problem, some light on screen but that is all. So I connected and external monitor..

Your computer may be booting to the wrong slot, you can change that by going to the bios and change the booting settings. If that doesn't work I would assume it's the ram. If you have 4 slots and only 2 ram sticks, try making them parallel with a gap then change them around. If that doesn't work just randomly place them in every combination there is, this usually helps me with the black screen.

Yes you have done something wrong, but impossible to say without looking at the PC.