Is it true that Churchill preferred a "soft" treatment of the Japanese and was against the Atomic Bomb ?

I read years ago that Winston Churchill urged president Truman and as well as high ranking American generals to take it easy and take a "soft" approach and easing the unconditional surrender terms so that the Japanese would be inclined to sign it. Churchill wanted post-war Japan to be a strong... show more I read years ago that Winston Churchill urged president Truman and as well as high ranking American generals to take it easy and take a "soft" approach and easing the unconditional surrender terms so that the Japanese would be inclined to sign it. Churchill wanted post-war Japan to be a strong Anti-Communist ally just like West Germany. Churchill knew that China and Korea would be a Communist state very close to Russia and thus he thought having a capitalist anti-communist ally such as Japan in the fat east was indispensable.

is this true?