Breaking up is really very hard to do. With breakup comes conflicting feelings of longing for the relationship that we once had, but which we know in our heart no longer exists. I think you are in that place right now. It’s just so hard to say good-bye, along with some great memories. It’s bittersweet at times.
There are various reasons why couples who know they should break up seem to want to gravitate back together. Let’s look st some of them:
1. We have to make some changes in our lives. Instead of being a couple and being together, you no longer are. The can mean a huge shift in many aspects of your life, including your mutual friends, places you go, and things you do. It’s a huge adjustment.
2. Some people are afraid of being alone after breaking up. Once regularly with one person, they suddenly find that their social life has changed. You may= find that you’re sitting at home alone on a Saturday night instead of going out with a girlfriend.
3. Fear of the unknown. Will I get another partner? How long will it take? Will I like the new girl as much as the ex? Will I get along with her? Will she cheat on me? A whole host of questions go through our mind.
4. You may feel you’ve invested a lot of time and energy into your relationship and feel you don’t want to let it go. If you date somebody for a long time, that certainly can be a dilemma.
5. Worrying about what others might think of you.
6. Once again, longing for the past that you may realize you can never return to. Sometimes we want to relive the days when we fell in love with a person. However, sometimes we just have to let go of the past and move forward. It may be time to follow a new path in the dating world.
Your ex is an ex for a reason. Things don’t always go according to our expectations. I know what that feels like. My ex and I had even talked about getting married just a couple of months before we broke up for good.
Of course your girlfriend will think of you. She’ll always think of you. I’ve been married now for 12 years and I still think about the guy who broke it off with me before I met the guy who would eventually become my husband. You’ll never forget your exes, but that doesn’t mean that you can’t or shouldn’t move on. Let her go. Start dating other girls and let your ex be a pleasant memory of your past. I just know you’ll find somebody new to fill your heart.