c asked in PetsCats · 2 years ago

Do you think this is mean?

My neighbours have 2 cats (they’re about one year old) and they have been neutered and everything, but they don’t want to let them out because they are scared they will get hit by a car. I often see them sitting by the windows watching birds and people, looking as if they want to be outside. I understand the fear of the road, but it isn’t that busy and my cat has been perfectly fine going out for 4 years.

☆ Sent from iOS Dr. Know! 1.1.03

Update:

Uhh right, I didn’t expect there to be so many strong opinions on this post. I live in the UK and I think it’s pretty common here for most cats to be outdoor ones, as literally EVERYONE I know who owns a cat lets it go out. Which is why I asked the question in the first place. No need to be rude.

18 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 years ago

No, I don't think it's mean at all.

It may seem rather odd to some people, but sometimes, some cat owners WILL keep their cat(s) indoors for the sake of their safety. This may be the case especially if the area which they live in is not a particularly nice area, or if it's near a source of danger to the cat(s), for example busy roads with lots of traffic, or if lots of dogs come past and a cat who they own doesn't get on with dogs. Also, believe it or not, some cats actually prefer to spend time indoors out of their own personal choice. If they have a close bond with their owner, or one owner in particular for instance, they may be inside a lot to spend time inside if it's with the person they're fond of.

Anyway, it's totally fine for the cats to just look outside through a window if that's what they want to do, because it keeps them entertained but safe at the same time. It's like a little child watching cartoons online or on a TV in order to keep them entertained, so they don't get bored.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

I'm noticing that the comments that say that letting your cats outdoors is okay tend to get more dislikes...?

There's two sides to this scenario. Jeez, people that have commented have absolutely no filter. This is yahoo answers not a war zone. If a person asks a question, just respect their curiosity and answer it if you must. There's no reason to start stringing out curse words just because of a question...

Anyway. Like I said, there's two sides. I personally have a few cats, but there is one special cat who I keep inside 100% of the time. I used to hold her in my arms and take her outside for fresh air, but the poor thing would get so scared that she would start shaking and meowing constantly. This cat, clearly, is not made for the wild. She is a gift to me from a cat breeder, and she was raised inside all her life. She's already a flighty cat as is, bless her heart. She looks out the window all the time though! She loves to watch the cars run back and forth, and she obviously doesn't actually want to be outside.

My other cats, however, are allowed to go inside and outside. Both my indoor/outdoor cats were strays at first, and I took them in after looking after them for a while. They are used to being outside and surviving in "the wild". They are both at least 8 years old now and they're happy, healthy cats. Is it "irresponsible" or "cruel" to let pets go outside? Absolutely NOT. Animals were born to be outside, not kept in the captivity of a house. Yes, indoor cats are proven to live longer, however they don't get the taste of freedom that they were made to have. Calling a pet owner that lets their animals go outside "irresponsible and cruel" is absolutely ridiculous. It's far from "cruel" and it is not "irresponsible" either. On the contrary, there are definitely more risks of something happening to outdoor cats. This depends purely on the owner's awareness of the cat's ability to survive in the wild. If said owner really does not think that their cat can survive outside, then just keep the cat inside! It's simple. Nothing to start arguing about.

• Yes It Is Mean Cat's Should Be Left Inside!

• kelvin
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

no it isn't

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 years ago

You're an idiot of gigantic proportions. Not only do you neglect your own cat by letting it roam loose, you want other people to neglect their cats as well. You're the one who's cruel and you should not have ANY pets.

• 2 years ago

WTF is it your business? How is it "mean" not to let PETS outside to be run over by cars and eaten by coyotes? You are CLUELESS.

http://www.littlebigcat.com/health/indoors-or-outd...

• Anna
      Lv 5
      2 years agoReport

The asker appears to be from the UK like me we don't have coyotes here. But we still have the issue of cars.

• Ocimom
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

It means that the owner of the cat that keeps them inside cares more about their cats. My cats are 100% indoor cats and they look out the window - that doesn't mean they want to go outside. Its safer inside - no worries about your cat being hurt or killed by a car/truck or another animal. No worries about fleas or other parasites. No worries about getting into fights with another cat and getting FELV or FIP. And no worries about the cats being stolen or taken to a shelter and being put down.

• 2 years ago

It’s a proven fact that an indoor lives on average 5-6 years longer than an outdoor/indoor cat.

Is it cruel? No.

Is it the wrong choice? No.

But sometimes I think it’s worth the shorter lifespans for the enjoyment cats get from being free.

It is however ALWAYS up to the cats owners and none of your business.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

They are responsible cat owners. People who let their cats out are irresponsible, as well as cruel.

• Anna
      Lv 5
      2 years agoReport

Danielle but cats can get run over outdoors or hurt by sick people.

• Evelyn
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

No, not mean at all. The cats probably watch out the window like a person watches tv. it's just interesting to watch. Doesn't mean they want to be out there.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.