What causes pain in the lower back?

My lower back (the area around the spine) hurts/aches if I stand for very long periods of time (I’m talking about hours) or if I’m sitting in an uncomfortable chair or position. Does this mean my posture is bad or something else? What can I do to stop it from aching? I’m 17 so old age isn’t an issue.

☆ Sent from iOS Dr. Know! 1.1.03

Sciatica. (Not an age issue) arthritis (Not an age thing) pinched nerve, etc.etc. See your doctor for a simple x-ray.

Standing is worse than sitting. The lumbar kinks at the 5th vertebrae. You can relieve muscle spasms in the lumbar (in muscles deep under the spine where it is impossible to massage) by lying on your back, pulling your feet toward your butt (knees in the air), then pushing your butt in the air (straightening the lumbar region). Hold that position for several minutes, and you will find that the spasm abates.

• y

If there is not injury or damage, then it is support, core and back muscles that are not strong enough to do what you are asking.

I can't stand or sit normally for more then half an hour or so before i not only have pain, but lose fine motor control in my legs and feet. That is the result of damage

There are nerves near your spine that can have pressure put on them when you curve your back the wrong way. If you have been wearing high heels, that can cause it, or if you sit in a chair that puts your back in the wrong position. If you carry heavy school books, that also hurts your back.

If you have a bag of corn or peas in the freezer, that makes a good ice pack. Sit in a better chair and put the ice pack on the spot that hurts. Keep it there for a good 15 minutes, and it will help. Make sure you wear good shoes that support your feet, and don't wear high heels or flats with no support or sole that helps absorb the shock from the floor. Walking is the best exercise for back issues- but only if you're wearing the right shoes. The best are Dansko Professional clogs, Merrills, Ecco or Mephisto, but a good sneaker with an arch support (NOT Keds or Chucks) is fine too.

If you can take some Tylenol or ibuprofen, that will help- but don't use that as the only thing you're doing for it. Make sure you get in a couple of 15 minute walks each day, to strengthen your lower back. If you still have problems, talk to your doctor and get a referral to an orthopedist- and don't EVER go to a chiropractor. They can actually do more harm than good. Go to an orthopedic specialist- they may give you some physical therapy visits,which can also help. SO,bythe way, can yoga.