What will happen to me if I call Child Protective Services?

My father hits me, talks down to me, cusses at me, and has threatened me with physical harm. I want to call CPS but I’m afraid of what will happen to me and my brother. I have heard from people who have been in foster homes that they are horrible, I’m afraid for me and my brothers safety and I don’t want to put us in worse situation than the one we’re in. I have relatives whom I might be able to live with. What will happen if I report my father to CPS?

Waste of time. Foster care is not where anyone's kid should be.

Just stay away from your dad when he's pxssed off. And do whatever he tells you to WITHOUT talking back. And don't ask for favors like having your friends over or going to a friends house. You can do all that when you're 18.

Nothing

Your father has a LEGAL law given right to smack you. CPS will do nothing. Cursing at you is not abuse so CPS will do nothing. Threatening to harm you is not abuse either so CPS will do nothing.

CPS will not take you away. They will not stick you in foster care or anything.

you might get sent to live with relatives

Before you report him at all, DO have your cell phone recordings of him abusing you if not also your brother, as well as the degrading talk he does at you. Only then would anything be effectively done for you at all.

So if you have the recordings, then likely, you would wind up in a foster home until one of those relatives takes and accepts custody of you 2 together. It will be temporary housing, no matter what.

Good luck, and do try and stay with a counselor. I know I was abused like that from family, but more my brother and sisters, and it really does take a lot of time to get over and past it all.

• rac

You will be free from his abuse for a while. Most foster care homes do care for the children that are placed with them. If your situation is intolerable, then you might want to give CPS a call for your own protection and safety.

Source(s): my professional opinion

If you report him then CPS will investigate your report. If they determine that he's unfit to be a parent and that you and your brother are in danger living with him, they will try to place you with relatives. Since you HAVE relatives that you might be able to live with, it's EXTREMELY unlikely that they would even consider foster care. They don't want to use foster care unless there is absolutely NO alternative.

• sats

Very sorry, that is no way to live. It's perfectly understandable that you are afraid. I want you to contact this site. It's free/confidential counseling, you can tell them your story and they will best be able to advise you on your next step and what to expect. They are part of BoysTown that works to help teens with difficulties.

http://www.yourlifeyourvoice.org/Pages/home.aspx

• Aurora

What will happen is that if you and your brother are under 18 years old, you both will be taken away from him and live somewhere else. I'm not sure how the whole process works but I would expect that authorities would talk with your relatives to see if one of them can take you and your brother in. Also keep in mind that if for any reason you go into foster care, the experience is different for everyone. I've never been in a foster home, but I have friends who have been and they are happy there. It all depends on who your foster parents are.

I'm sorry to hear what's going on and I hope things get better for you both!

• Kieth

Don't call CPS, call the police. CPS will not do anything without a police report.