What does it mean when you go bowling and the staff there install the lanes with gutter rails?

I am a guy with special needs, and I am with, a group, who chooses to go bowling. The first thing that happens when I arrive at the bowling alley is that I am putting on my bowling shoes, sitting my sorry butt at the lane the group was designed to sit at, five or ten pin, and waiting until the game starts. Then I... show more I am a guy with special needs, and I am with, a group, who chooses to go bowling.
The first thing that happens when I arrive at the bowling alley is that I am putting on my bowling shoes, sitting my sorry butt at the lane the group was designed to sit at, five or ten pin, and waiting until the game starts. Then I noticed something different about the lanes. The gutter rails were put up to make it look like I was a good bowler. Clank. Clank. Clank. Roll. Roll. Roll. Cheer. Cheer. Cheer. What's up with that?