How can I move out of my parents house at 18?

I’m currently 16 and a guy. My father is an abusive asshole and I plan to just stick it out and move out when I’m 18. I will obviously need a job and to save money. I don’t plan on going to University college or the military, I would however like to go to Trade school or Community college or some other career training type education. My questions are, where will I go? How much money do I need to save?, What is the cost of living? I also plan on cutting off communication with my father and quite possibly my brother so if this doesn’t work out I’m homeless. Any advice or help will be greatly appreciated.

8 Answers

  • 3 years ago

    You are 16. You can get a job now and just save EVERYTHING. Don't go out spending your money on stupid things, save as much as possible. When I was 16 I was working part time at a toy store and also baby sitting. My brother was making money doing yard work for neighbors and working in the stock room of a clothing store part time. You need to start saving money now so get a job, any job, and just put the money away

    Cost of living depends where you live - the cost of living in NYC or San Francisco is not the same as a small town in Alabama. Look online to get an idea of rent prices near you or even how much it costs to rent a room. You will be better off sharing a place with others to start. I'd concentrate on getting a job first to save money then you can see if you can afford to go to college or trade school full time

  • 3 years ago

    Go to to apply for a PELL grant, and to look for scholarships. Once you get into school, see if they have work study. See if you have a friend who also wants to move out, so you can split the bills.

  • Anonymous
    3 years ago

    Work and save as much as you can. Maybe you can get a free room in exchange for doing some chores for an elderly person or couple. You might be able to meet someone like that at a church. Look into financial aid for college courses after you get settled somewhere. Renting a room will be cheaper than having your own apartment. Be prepared to work a couple of jobs. It's worth it though for the freedom. Pray for God's will and direction in your life. I asked Jesus Christ into my life as Lord and Savior many years ago and He has helped me with all sorts of problems as well as given me a home in heaven. I also suggest that you read the New Testament starting with the Gospel of John; then Romans. Look for a Bible-believing church to attend, like Baptist. Ask the pastor for prayer and counseling.

  • 3 years ago

    if your father is abusive you dont have to wait till youre 18, call cps and they can put you somewhere else

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 3 years ago

    The "cost of living" means the average cost for food and housing, and that is different everywhere. Without knowing where you live, I can't give you exact numbers. Best thing to do is go to and search "cost of living" along with the name of your town or state, and also search for local community colleges. All community colleges should have websites, advisers, numbers to call, free presentations, etc, to get more information. Some colleges offer assistance with tutoring, housing, a medical center, and more.

    The main things you will need are somewhere to live (which might also include the cost of utilities like electricity, water, trash service), reliable transportation (which will also include gas, upkeep and insurance), food, and a phone. A phone is just not a luxury, you have to have a number where you can be reached if you want to get a job. If you can live with a roommate or rent a room, that will save some money. But housing can cost anywhere from $100 to $1000 a month, depending on your situation and where you live. Food can range from $100 to $400 a month, depending on how you shop and what you eat. Figure out if you need to buy a car or if you can use public transportation. Do not rely on friends for rides, or you may end up losing your job and being really screwed. Start looking around the Internet for affordable phone options.

    I moved out of my parents house at 18, because my dad was abusive, and I haven't spoken to him in over 20 years. I wish you all the best.

  • Anonymous
    3 years ago

    Good on you, my lad.

    Open a Savings Account,

    Get a Part time Job so you can stash some money away.

    If you go to college, with good grades, you might qualify for Grant(s).

    Rent. 800 to 1200 a month

    Food: 3$ to 5$ each meal.

    Electricity 2.50$ a day.

    Water/Sewer 200$ a quarter.

    Cable [don't until you are settled] 30$ to 120$ a month.

    Internet [DuyaS] also 50$ to 120$ a month.

    Automobile, This is toughest. Depends on your vehicle, whether you own/rent/lease. How much you drive, Insurance will kill you until you are 25 with no incidents with 5 years experience. 500$ to a couple thousand dollars a year. Even more if you are accident prone or pick the wrong model/style/colour vehicle.

  • 3 years ago

    I graduated HS at 17 1/2,,Packed my stuff in the car and said I am outta here.

    Never really on bad terms with my parents,,good people and taught me well.

    Only going 40 miles, but I had some skills that go me work.

    A matter of working lifes problems and how to solve them. Did OK for myself.

    Homeless is moot, and there are solutions to resolve that,,it takes work and effort.

  • Kyle
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

    I would recommend the military. if you don't have any savings, it can be a great place to start. the military isn't forever. four years is standard enlistment contract. you get paid training and experience towards a skill / career. not every job in the military is combat or infantry related. they have jobs in IT, logistics / business, intel / analyst, vehicle maintenance, and others. plenty of those jobs can translate to the civilian world after your service. and plenty of companies will take someone with years of training and experience, over someone with just a college degree, and no work experience. as long as you get your high school diploma, have no major medical issues, or criminal history, you should be qualified to serve. but only a recruiter can clear you. sometimes recruiters will attend high school job fairs to answer students questions, so ask a counselor at school if they participate.

    the pay scale depends on experience and grade in the military. and you can look that up online. along with all benefits they provide.

    after the military, you can use the GI Bill to help pay for higher education if desired, learn a new skill, or advance within a company.

    you should talk this with a counselor or adviser at high school too. they can help plan all this with you, and help with your personal issues you're having at home as well.

    otherwise, you would have to get a part time or even full time job, and go to a community college part time to earn an associates degree. there are plenty of careers with decent pay you can do with a two year degree, and you can find articles about it online. some community colleges offer training for trade jobs as well - HVAC, electrician, plumbing, carpentry, etc. so do some research.

    cost of living you can look online. use sites like or and see what's out there for rent. see if utilities are provided or not, and what amenities they may have.

    you'll need transportation. either public or your own car. if you get your own car, you'll need gas, car insurance, or other accessories. you may need repairs, fill your gas maybe once a month, oil changes maybe once a year or six months, etc.

    again, ALL these questions you can talk to a counselor or adviser about.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.