Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 year ago

Do you think people who are in a relationship have higher self esteem then single people?

I am single and I believe I have a higher self esteem then my friend who is happily married and in love. I read an article saying people who are in relationship and are happy have higher self esteem. Is this true? Some people in relationships are very insecure

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Jay R
    Lv 7
    1 year ago
    Best answer

If it's a sexual relatinship, there's a certain contentment to be had, but people's basic personalities don't change by becoming paired.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

off course , single men are only half compared to married one , because married one feel more responsibility than single one

• 1 year ago

NO,read the divorce rate in the USA.

Then imagine how many stay married but are miserable.

Freedom is life to most people.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

We often make the mistake that friends or partners take away bad things. I've heard a woman describe how she can fall into her husbands arms after a long day and all the stress melts away. The subtly, kinda like watching Harry Potter to watch a movie vs doing it to worship satan, is that relationships should add good things to us, not take away bad ones. When we do it that way, we become dependent on the other person to fix us all the time and it becomes very dramatic, with high highs and low lows. Either you're what they call codependent or a leech on one side or the other. Either way, it's not conducive to overall well-being.

What you might notice is people in their high state, they feel good about themselves (i.e., self esteem) now that they have a place to throw their garbage. But I don't think overall, one should be seen as overly more happy in a healthy, long term relationship. Its an even keel with companionship added, not loneliness taken away.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Leanne
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

Finding another part of you will make you happier. It’s scientifically proven married people are most often happier and love longer than singles. I’m married and certainly feel better than when I was single as I have joy in my family

• 1 year ago

Some do. Many don't. Many relationships aren't really healthy and actually have negative effects on folks.

• 1 year ago

Idk. I'm single and I have very low self-esteem. Idk if being in a relationship would really change it though.

• JuanB
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

I think there are people like that. I have seen people with low self esteem who can't bare to be single. I have seen people who continue in a bad relationship and only break up when something better comes along. They break up and start a new relationship within the same week. And worse, those that stay in an abusive relationship instead of leaving.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

Yes

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

To some degree, it is true, but it does not make it any less that you have the esteem that they need to link with another for, though that could mean conceit and more on you then.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.